First Light Trip!

20130710-125731.jpg

Well, here she is! She is really ours now! We took her out of town to the ocean this 4th of July weekend to “get our feet wet” a bit with this whole camping life thing.

Anthony and I both love to camp (in tents and such for a couple days at a time) but neither or us have experience when it comes to campgrounds, RV’s and actually living this way of life so needless to say we’ve been reading up, you tubing, and informing ourselves so that we aren’t both wondering around in the dark when we actually pull out for good.

I’ll have to say, our first trip was pretty amazing! There were NO major bumps in the road (knocking on wood.) Luckily we were able to buy a new camper rather than a used one, so there are no issues as of yet and it is super easy to set up and use! We of course have a bathroom, air conditioning/heat, water and all of the appliance luxuries we are used to having at home with the exception of washer/dryer and a dishwasher. And yes that will take some getting used to, but I’m pretty positive I won’t die.

So I have to say, although going from 2500 sq. ft of living space to 300 will be very different, we will NOT be suffering. 🙂

20130710-125828.jpg

Here we are, hooking everything up for the first time! I followed my husband around as much as I could, taking it all in so I’d know how to operate all these hookups and gadgets when he isn’t around….and PRAYING I won’t need any experience with the dreaded sewage line EVER.

20130710-125844.jpg

Jackson had a little issue getting all the beach sand out of this head so daddy fixed him up!

20130710-125900.jpg

If there is one thing we’ve already realized first hand about this new little space is that time to just be together is something we will gain a whole lot of…and something we don’t get a lot of these days, so we welcome it with open arms! There isn’t room of course to spread out all over the house in our own spaces doing our own things like we’ve used to, so our mornings (and a lot of our time) were spent just being together.

I like that.

20130710-130241.jpg

Afternoons were spent hanging out at the beach or pool….We even found two crazies there!

20130710-130308.jpg

LOTS of outside time and playing games together rather than traveling all around, spending money on expensive activities/entertainment and buying more stuff we don’t need…

20130710-130325.jpg

and grilling out on the outdoor kitchen for the first time!

.20130710-130339.jpg

20130710-130351.jpg

20130710-130756.jpg

Olivia

Do you see the happy faces? 🙂

We had the best time on our very first Light travels!

————————————

So, it probably doesn’t come as a surprise that a lot of people we know (and some we don’t) have been asking about the details of our new journey. Why are we doing this, what made us decide to live the way we are instead of renting or buying a house, when are we leaving, where are going, what are we doing with all our stuff, will I become a wondering nomad hippie & stop shaving my armpits and grow my hair out in dreads?

So I thought I’d share a little bit of the whats and whys with you in my next post!

Live lightly!

*feel free to comment or ask ANY question you’d like in the comment box below and I’ll be sure to answer it in my next post!

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to First Light Trip!

1. Heather July 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

I can’t tell you how exciting it was for me to read this! My husband and I put out house up for sale in February, with the idea of moving into a camper. Our house hasn’t sold yet, but once it does, our plan is to live free and travel for a while, all while saving up to pay cash for land and build a small country cabin with our own hands. It’s so fun to see other families taking this leap. We haven’t purchased a camper yet. Are there any tips you could give for purchasing an RV? Things to look for? Things to avoid?

• Rachel Rowell July 10, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

That’s awesome Heather! 🙂

Since you have kids you’ll probably want to choose a camper with a bunkhouse so they will have an actual separate place to sleep. We have our own room, and they have theirs. They share a space of course, but have their own bed and still it gives us some privacy. We chose a camper over a motorhome or actual RV for several reasons…it’s a lot to say here so I plan to write about it all more on the blog so look out for it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

2. NON-Superwoman July 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Sounds so exciting! And how awesome that you’re at a point in life where you can do this.

• Rachel Rowell July 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

We are pretty excited! Anthony had actually wanted to do this when we retired but circumstances changed, his job moves him around a lot and we need to be together so we are doing it now! We figure we better get a start on it while the kids are still small enough to think it’s cool! 😉 Thanks so much for stopping by!

3. Anthony Rowell July 11, 2013 at 1:39 am #

I absolutely loved it!!! I know that after a few months and the new begins to wear off, the walls may seem to start shrinking. But I’m still stoked. Being able to share life with my wife and kids no matter where I’m working. Heather….research! Just check out what other people are saying about the rv you are looking for. There are so many options out there. Just check around and see what fits your needs. I hope it goes well for you!

4. joyinsimplicity July 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Congrats!! We just started our full-time life 2 weeks ago. We, like you, had only been tent campers up until now….and I just had my first run-in with the sewer lines this past weekend…oh MY! But it’s amazing how things like that get easier…even already!! Hope this part of your journey flies by so you can get on to the real fun!! Perhaps we’ll see you on the road along the way somewhere!

• Rachel Rowell July 11, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Thank you! We are quite excited about the new journey ahead, bumps and all! I would love for us to stay connected on our journeys. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

5. Will July 11, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Greetings,
    Our family pulled the plug, and stepped off the treadmill 18 months ago! Life on the road poses certain challenges, but a simpler life is certainly more meaningful!
    Hope all goes well and you find the whatever you are looking for, I’m sure you’ll find it along the way!

Be safe

• Rachel Rowell July 11, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks Will! Hope the new journey is going well for you guys. Would love to stay connected…we may need advice! 😉 Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello!

6. Dee July 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Well done! We are retirees who have been on the road for 3 years. 3 motorhomes in 3 years! Last year while in Florida at Thousand Trails, Orlando we came across 2 families full timing with children. I would suggest you look at the Thousand Trails camping membership. The “Elite” membership is about $4000. Thereafter your camping fees are free for 30 nights and then $3:00 per night thereafter. With the Elite you can move from park to park, nationwide, and stay between 2 and 3 weeks at each park. Yearly dues are around $550. Pays for itself very quickly!
    Mike and Dee White.

• Rachel Rowell July 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Thank you Dee for the advice. We will definitely look into that and see if it’s something that will be of benefit to our family. Look forward to checking out your blog for your own adventures and would love to keep in touch! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and leave a few words of advice.

Happy travels! 🙂

7. Andrea July 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Looks like you guys are off to a great start! My family of five just recently started our nomadic life in May. It is so cool to see more and more families choosing this lifestyle. Come on over and check out our blog. I’m looking forward to following your journey. Maybe we will cross paths somewhere along the way 🙂

• Rachel Rowell July 12, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Andrea! I am definitely curious to see how it’s going for you guys. Will head on over to your blog! Thanks for stopping by ours! Feel free to leave us any words of wisdom anytime! 😉

8. Amanda July 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Congratulations! Just found your blog through the nuRVers page. We’ve been full-time for just over a year now and can’t imagine going back to a more traditional lifestyle. Like you we were tent campers before and had no experience with RVs, towing, or dealing with black and grey tanks. It’s amazing how quick you learn when you have no other choice 🙂 I am so in love with your outdoor kitchen set-up! Something I really wish we had in our trailer. Great photos, great story and I look forward to following your journey.

9. Rachel Rowell July 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Thanks Amanda! Yes, we have MUCH to learn – but we know that somehow we will figure it all out! I’m always so interested to hear about how it’s going for those like you who were also recent newbies but have been doing it a little while now. I’ll head on over to your blog and check out your little journey!

Also, yes – the outdoor kitchen was something we fell in love with before we bought it. We knew that it would be something that we would use A LOT. We are excited about all the dinners outdoors that will be had. 🙂

Let’s stay connected!

10. Nicki Van July 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Hi Rachel! I found your blog through the Start Experiment, and am overjoyed with your story as it’s an adventure I’d love to take as well. One request – since I am a single gal hoping to embark on an RV journey someday, I am curious just how gross the sewer line is. Do you think your husband could do a down and dirty guest post? Without so many details! 🙂

I can’t wait to follow along and dream of my own trip!

11. Rachel Rowell July 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Nicki,

Thank you so much! At this point we haven’t had much experience with the whole sewage line issue since we’ve only taken it on one short excursion. However, in about a month or so we will be living in it full time which will certainly give us more experience with things such as that. I am positive we will end up with lots of tips/advice and maybe even a few funny stories to tell. Once we get to that place I would be more than happy to do a guest post for you!!

Keep checking in with us and let’s stay connected! One of our dreams is for our own journey to inspire other families & individuals to know that they too have what it takes to live a full and rich life that is free from living for the pursuit of stuff. You just have to be brave!

Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by! 🙂

12. Joyce Swedin September 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

I got lost in ur story and now got interrupted so I haven’t read all the comments sooo, just incase no one mentioned this to you,,, remember that your camper tires should be changed out about every 3 to 4 yrs. It doesn’t matter how good they look and the fact there are not that many miles on them,,, they will rot out just from sitting and from the sun. We have a 32 ft traveltrailer. We lived in it for about a yr and a half. Me, my hubby, our 35lb Siberian Husky and 2 adult cats. It was small but we made it work. We left MN for TX 2 yr ago and made it about 2hrs into Iowa and had a blow out on the camper. Our tires looked great and we had less than 10,000 miles on them. No body would slow down, we were afraid to get out of the truck. We waited over an hr for AAA. When we got to MO. 40 miles from TX boarder we found a big baulge on the other tire. We got brand new tires that day !! Only been campers for 7 yrs and still consider ourselves rookies. Good luck on ur new adventure and wish you and your family the best. Love ur camper,,,, very nice. 🙂 Joyce Swedin from, Minnesota.

13. Mary September 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Hi to you and your family! We have never been full time RV’ers, but we are on our third rig. We started in 1996 when our kids were 6 and 7, with a 25 foot tow behind, then in 2005 we bought a family friendly 28 foot 5th wheel that we called our “5 year plan”. No bunks but it had a pull out couch and a small sectional so my kids each had a place of their own. We just traded in our old 5th wheel last May for our new beauty, a 2013 Bighorn 3070rl. We are blessed to live in an area where we have wonderful choices of camp spots that are close enough to home that my husband can go to and from work and I can make a mad dash home to do some laundry or take a “real shower”. Our children are now 21 and 22 and they, as well as about a dozen of their friends, actually plan their summers around our yearly beach camping trip. What a tradition this became, who knew? What I intended to share with you before I got off track a bit, is that we always had at least one tent set up for our kids. Even when they slept inside with us. It gave them a bit of personal space and it also was somewhere we could put all of their stuff to help keep the rig clutter free. They started sleeping outdoors when they were about 10 and 11, right next to my bedroom widow where I could here them whispering and giggling until they fell asleep. Then as their friends started joining us we had the “girls tent” and the “boys tent”. I used to say I could here a tent zipper from a mile away… haha. Also, the dreaded sewer line is not THAT big of an issue. Drain the black water first, follow that with the grey water, that will help to flush your hose. Then hook the city water hose up and let it clean all the residual. Wear gloves and have hand sanitizer. We have never had any leaks or trouble with this. Granted, this falls into my husbands list of things to do. Anyway, congrats to you and your family. Enjoy and savor this wonderful brave experience. I look forward to hearing more. Let me know when you get near the central coast in California. We have some wonderful camping here, and many with full hook ups 😉 Wishing you and yours all the best! Mary Place, from Solvang, CA