When A House Is No Longer A Home

So, I spent all of last week working my behind off to get more of our belongings from inside our house, sold. We had made the decision to just let go of everything rather than waste money on storage units for who knows how long? With a month and a half left until move out day, it was starting to freak me out a little that the house was still so full of stuff. Come August 31st (move out day) we definitely don’t want to be left with any big furniture or even boxes of random things to figure out what to do with.

The streams of buyers flowing in and out of the house lately has made a huge dent in getting it emptied it out last week and I’m starting to feel a bit more at ease. So as of today, I’d say 85% of our belongings are either sold or spoken for, and the house gets emptier by the day. As the house gets more bare and I am left here with only the bare essentials, it’s all starting to feel very surreal that we are actually doing this.

Also, our official “Hit the road” date has been bumped up a bit! The kids and I had originally planned to stick around Wilmington for a little over a month after we move out of our home in preparation for my sister’s wedding, and then we would all leave afterwards. Well, needless to say we have honestly just had enough of not being together as a family – and so the kids and I will move out of our home August 31, and on Sept. 1 – a day before my 30th birthday, we will head out for our new life together.

Yesterday, Anthony got everything arranged for our stay and sent me these pictures of the place we will call home for about a month before heading back to Wilmington again for a week or two to be with family.

The BuckhorneI can certainly handle this! I mean, isn’t it lovely? This picture (obviously shot in the fall) is of the stream that flows just next to our campsite. This place is right up next to the Virginia mountains in a sleepy little town called Clifton Forge. This town is where Anthony has lived and worked for the past five months and so we will join him there until that job wraps up and we move on!

20130715-083458.jpgThis is the second summer that he has been away from us for months at a time for work, and with the realization that he would be doing even more working out of town – several months back I told him that I’d go ANYWHERE, as long as I could be where he is.

And I meant every word. I haven’t looked back since.

I think this is why it’s been so easy for me to watch our things walk out the door and it not hurt. I know that all of those things are just things, they aren’t our life. I can let go because the memories we hold from our time there, can’t ever be sold or bought, or taken away from us.

Because the truth we’ve come to realize is that when we aren’t together, our house isn’t a home anymore – it’s just a piece of real estate we pay for to sleep in at night.

And when a house is longer a home, it’s time to move on.

When we are all together, doing life together everyday, in each other’s arms – it doesn’t really matter where we are, what we live in or how much stuff we have, we are home – and life is as it should be.

For the first time in a long time, home is in view again, and it is precisely the place where we all are so ready to be.

home

, , , , ,

12 Responses to When A House Is No Longer A Home

1. Andrea July 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

There is such joy in your words :’)

2. Kristina July 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Oh my word! I can’t wait to check back in in your journey. ‘When a house is no longer a home it’s time to move on.” Love that line!

• Rachel Rowell July 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Thanks Kristina! Love that you stopped by. 🙂

3. Anthony July 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

I love it!!!!!! I love how you express exactly what we have been feeling and thinking. I can hardly wait for this new phase of life to begin!! I’m ready to be home….. Wherever that may be.

4. randijo July 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

so awesome!! 🙂 So happy for you. My friend Angie I was telling you about also has a similiar situation in that her husband travels for work so they weren’t together much. So awesome they can follow him wherever… like you will be able to. I am so very thankful my husband doesn’t travel for work anymore and works so close to home…. because I get seriously car sick even in the back of my mini van hehe. God is soooo not preparing me for RV living 🙂

• Rachel Rowell July 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Haha! Yes, it’s definitely not for everyone and I totally get that. Honestly, a few years ago there is NO way I would have been game for this lifestyle, but I guess I have just enough of an adventurous streak in me to go for it now! 😉

Love that you stopped by and commented! 🙂

5. Meandering Jaxs July 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Congrats!! We just listed our home last week and soon will be another step closer to being full timers. I love that you are doing this while your kids are still young, what a great adventure for them. Enjoy yourselves, life should be fun, not lonesome, so glad you are all going to be together again. I love when people ask me “well what if this doesn’t work out, you know, like you tire of it?”. Really, this is what we want to do now, if we tire of it we can always buy another house, (although I really don’t see that happening). I’m as at home in my travel trailer as I was in this house, just changing backyards. Will enjoy following your journey. Kris

• Rachel Rowell July 15, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

That’s awesome! Hope the house sell quickly for you guys so you can get out on the road! I sort of feel the same way about the question of, will we even want another house again in the future? I honestly don’t think we’ll know until later on. We aren’t sweating it or even trying to have every detail all mapped out, just taking it one day at a time and seeing where our new journey will lead us!

Look forward to following your travel adventures and would love to stay connected!

I hope you’ll stop by again. Blessings to you!

6. Cheyenne July 16, 2013 at 12:35 am #

Thank you…as we sell more and more of our things, your words resonate with me! I’m having those moments of “oh my goodness, can’t believe I’m selling THIS!” but then I’m reminded (partly from your words) that it’s just stuff and the memories are in the stuff! 🙂 Thank you again and God’s blessings on your journey! Maybe our paths will cross one of these days!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tips On Lightening Up Your Diet With Juicing | - August 13, 2013

[…] making the decision to sell 90% of our stuff, leave our house and hit the road full time in our camper, I have sincerely been on a mission to lighten up our lives in every way possible over the past few […]