Pioneering A Light Life: Week 1

20130903-152507.jpgWell, we did it! The day our family thought would never get here, finally arrived! We finished selling off what was left of our belongings in yet another huge yardsale just the day before, said our goodbyes to friends and family and on a perfect Sunday afternoon in late August we watched the only place on earth we’ve ever known to be home fade away into our rearview mirror.

We left everything familiar and comfortable behind, to head out on a brand new journey in which little is sure, except that we are together and our hearts are wide open!

Our life literally changed overnight. I knew that it would, except that there was no way of understanding how much this would truly be the reality until we….well, until we did it!

Not that we are the first to ever make an extreme change like this, yet still I sort of feel like a pioneer of sorts, forging our way through an unchartered and unfamiliar way of life.

Or maybe it isn’t unfamiliar and we aren’t really pioneers at all except to the culture of today. In any case, it’s as if the four of us have gone back in time a bit and reclaimed so much of the good that has been lost for our very own again.

For that, I am grateful.

It’s been 10 days since we said “hello” to our new life and to be honest, I haven’t written sooner simply because I’m finding it a bit overwhelming to try to put into words all that we’ve experienced over the past week and a half. I’m really not sure it is possible, so for this post at least, I’m not going to try.

I will let just a few of the snapshots of our first week say what I cannot express.

I hope you enjoy them! I will be writing much more in the days to come but lately I’ve honestly just been intentionally slowing down and taking it all in – adjusting, making a new home, and getting the kids started back to school.

20130903-152410.jpg20130903-152452.jpg20130903-152701.jpg20130903-152712.jpg20130903-152719.jpg20130903-152726.jpg20130903-152738.jpg20130903-153110.jpg20130903-153123.jpg20130903-153140.jpg20130904-220034.jpg20130904-220157.jpg

These pictures are all so carefree and beautiful, but don’t think it’s all fun and games…as we have already discovered, there will be more than our fair share of hilarious stories to tell….especially since tomorrow I get a lesson on how to empty out the black tank (sewage) from our little home on wheels. I’ll let ya know how that one goes! 😉

If there’s one thing this life is already teaching me, we are all capable of being WAY stronger and daring than we ever dared to believe we could be.

Here’s to the first leg of pioneering reclaiming a much lighter kind of life!

19 Responses to Pioneering A Light Life: Week 1

1. Bobby Brown September 5, 2013 at 2:22 am #

The photos definitely speak to the wonderful adventure you’ve started. In the case of sharing your experience with the black water tank maybe some photos shouldn’t do the talking. 🙂

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Haha! It’s a negative on the sewage pics FOR SURE. 😉

2. Jenn Lee September 5, 2013 at 2:25 am #

Oh my I am so excited for you all! We are still dreamers but it is fun to watch you and your family have this experience. Your kids are about the same age as ours so I look forward to reading about their experiences too!

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Thanks so much Jenn! Love that you stopped by to follow us on our journeys. Looking forward to staying connected with you here!

Blessings!

3. joyinsimplicity September 5, 2013 at 4:10 am #

YAY!! Hope we meet you guys on the road some time. We are loving it as well…even the challenges (like our truck’s new radiator exploding on the interstate Monday). There is still Joy to be found!! I pray you are safe and find joy in your new lifestyle as we have in our few months already!! We’re heading to the NorthEast to see the changing of the leaves….something we’ve always wanted to see!! Hooray!! Many blessings and happy travels (I promise black tanks aren’t as bad as you think…at least they weren’t for me. NEVER thought I’d be doing that…ha ha!)! – Rachel B.

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Oh my goodness Rachel I read your story of what happened! WOW. I’m so glad you guys made it through ok! We haven’t had any challenge NEARLY the magnitude of that…yet, but I am positive there will be a few bumps in the road to come and we are prepared for that. Love your blog and am looking to staying connected as we share the stories of our journeys. 🙂

Blessings!

4. Corie Clark September 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I absolutely love this, Rachel! I am so uber jealous too! I home school our 3 kids and think this would be such an amazing experience! I’m hoping we can just do it for like 3 weeks next year and show the kids our beautiful country!

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

thanks Corie! Yes, it is definitely a super amazing experience to be able to have with the kids…even if you you just do it for a short time. Living this way ISN’T for everyone…but you would LOVE a few weeks on the road traveling with the family. Such amazing things you experience together that you just can’t get staying in one town all the time! 😉 Hope you guys get a chance to do it some!

5. randijo September 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Happy for you!! I believe all His children are pioneers when following His will. I really have been thinking about that a lot recently. When we are living in His will, I believe each has their own path based one skills, personality, gifts, purposes, passions and how God wants to use all of that for His Body & His glory… so there is nobody we can look at ahead on the SAME path WE are on. only Jesus and lots of people around us on parallel paths! Here is to pioneering!!

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

🙂 so true! We can’t look at the paths that others are on and feel like we are missing out or not on the right path…we are called to a unique path. The important thing is that we stay open and willing enough to follow it…even if it means being different!

6. CoolJudy September 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Encourage the kids to have a journal or blog of their own, too. It can be as simple as “The best thing I saw or did this week…”. It will be fun to re-share those moments when they get older or on a rainy week when you are all stuck inside.

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

That’s a great idea Judy! Olivia (our almost 9 yr. old) has been asking to start a blog. I told her I’d help her do that soon. Also, their dad told them that he wants them to do a project of some sort on each place we travel to. Will be a great way to help us all remember the places we’ve been, people we’ve met and new experiences we’ve had along the way. (also, the kids don’t realize they will be learning in the process 😉

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! Many blessings.

• CoolJudy September 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

In my working life I was a College Study Abroad coordinator and we required the students to do a weekly written report. They (and their parents) appreciated it later.

You can also involve the kids in trip planning, navigating, and travel recordkeeping. I keep a spreadsheet to log all our travel and fuel information. If you would like a sample, send me an email with your email address… cooljudy [@] gmail.com.

On another subject, are you members of any RVing Forums for technical and RV lifestyle support? I highly recommend the Escapees Discussion forum and the Escapees Club and their mail service. There are also groups for RVing with Children and Home schooling on the road. Good luck on your adventures.

7. Rebeca Groover September 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Congrats! It’s a wonderful (and crazy) life! We’re making our way across the US with our four kids too!

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks Rebeca! And that’s awesome! How long have you guys been on the road? Definitely gonna check out your blog to see some of your adventures and get to know you a bit! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

8. Rick September 5, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

I want this for my family too. Our biggest concern is how to make money on the road to support it. Can you share your families plans to finance the dream? Prayers and blessings to you all.

• Rachel Rowell September 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

We get that question a lot. Click on the “meet the family” page at the top of the site and it explains that a bit. 🙂

9. Brenda September 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

We just made the leap also to full-timing. As of June 24th we left everything we knew behind, sold our house, said good-bye to family and friends and hit the road. We’ve hit some bumps in that road but nothing we couldn’t handle.

I want to say thank you for summing up what we have felt these last couple of crazy months.

10. Peggy M Rowell September 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

So sweet hearing all the fun times and the beautiful pictures keep them coming nana loves ya’l