From Homeschooling To Roadschooling

20130905-194728.jpgSo, we gave ourselves a week to get settled and enjoy some down time together before starting “roadschool” the day after Labor Day! This is our second year homeschooling and I’ll have to say, our first day of school looked a bit different than it did last year! Last year we had a decked out, dream school room. And this year…well, we live in almost the same amount of space of our school room last year!

20130905-194746.jpgOur school days have a much different feel this year. Not less, just different!

The living room area of our RV has has a long sectional type couch with two separate tables the kids sit at for school. To be honest, it works out nicely because the kids each have their own space and there is plenty of room for me to sit between them without feeling all crammed.

Even though my goal is to teach them to be independent learners, they are in 3rd and 1st grades this year and so for now, they need me to be right there with them to teach and help most of the school day.

We are still tweaking our school day routine, but for the most part we are loving the laid back pace of our school mornings. This year we do not have to rush as mommy doesn’t have to leave for work afternoon as before. That alone has been so freeing for us as an entire family.

Non-rushed school days, family dinner every night and laid back evenings together are something we’d never known until now!

20130905-194804.jpgOur typical school day takes around four or five hours to complete, but on some days (like today) we do school late into the afternoon. Not because it’s planned or because we have to, but just because the kids are just enjoying it! That is a luxury we did not have last year and an element that certainly makes homeschooling feel a bit more like it should.

I’m not a very scheduled type of person so for the most part I don’t schedule our days too much except that I know what we need to cover and accomplish each day, and we just work until we get it done….or mostly complete!

The weather in the mountains is perfection right now and so art (and anything else we can find to do outside) is done outside. What more perfect setting for art anyways? Art is one the kid’s favorite part of their school day so we will be doing it just about every day.

20130905-194825.jpg“Mom! I didn’t even KNOW I could paint this good!” were Jackson’s words as he proudly held up his painting of the big red barn he had read about in one of his reading books earlier that day. He specifically asked me to take a picture of him with his painting…. maybe he was secretly hoping it would make it onto the blog. 😉

He was so proud, and so am I!

20130905-194836.jpgThis year, homeschooling or maybe more appropriately, “roadschooling” feels a bit more as I had initially wanted it to feel. Free from the schedules and distractions of city life (and mommy working.) One of the many reasons we chose to take them out of school in the first place was to change the way and environment in which they learned….this lighter life certainly lends itself to that.

We are excited to discover all of the many ways we will get to take our learning far beyond just the books this year, out into the world that is all around us!

We may have given up a few material items, comforts and luxuries, but this is just one of the many treasures of time we have gained.

, , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to From Homeschooling To Roadschooling

1. WagginTailsRV September 6, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Your kids will be bless by roadschooling. You will be too. Much better than public schooling. In your world, everyday is a field trip. How cool is that?

2. Erick Carpenter September 6, 2013 at 3:18 am #

The things your children will experience and see, as well as catch an education? Priceless. and you get the time with them.. A great way to raise a family, and isn’t it amazing how much you can do without?

Keep on trucking, and enjoy life… 😀

3. Cindy Brown (@hiyacynthia) September 6, 2013 at 5:41 am #

I am still trying to find a homeschool program for my high schooler. It’s a tough choice when they get to 10th grade. Best of luck in everything 🙂 Really, all you are doing sounds blissful.

• Keri September 17, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Hey Cindy!
      We also are Roadschooling a High Schooler. We found a program we really like, it is called Time4Learning. Not sure if you have heard of them before, but they just started offering High School courses and it is all online and very cheap IMO. Anyways, just thought I’d share 😉

Here is the direct link incase you want to get more info. http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/high_school.html

4. mrsd September 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Love it. We have been roadschooling part time for years, so now that we will be full time in December, it won’t be much of an adjustment.

5. Andrea September 6, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

We love doing arts and crafts outside now that we are traveling too 🙂

6. Darci the STEM Mom September 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

So glad to have found your site. My husband, and 2 boys (ages 6 &2) will be full-timing starting sometime this fall. Would love to have any tips you have regarding organizing homeschool in an RV? My mind is spinning in how to make it all fit…tips?

7. Roadschooling- Families Homeschooling on the Road September 17, 2013 at 4:23 am #

Hello,
    We just wanted to let you know, that we think you have a Great blog, and we have added it to our “Roadschooling BlogRoll”. If you would like to check us out, on our facebook page, please follow the link below ~>

8. Jelena October 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Hi Rachel,
    Your blog is inspirational. We have started homeschooling this year and it looks like unschooling is more of what we do. I’d just love to do what your family is doing! I have a technical homeschooling questions though. How do you file school affidavit? Do you keep some permanent address somewhere for certain purposes (like banking maybe, homeschooling and such), and how do you do that? Im just wondering what would be our options? Please write to me via evansjelena@gmail.com. Thank you.

9. Jo Ann March 13, 2014 at 11:16 pm #

Hi Rachel,
    We are about three weeks away from going full time. My husband and I are retired teachers and former homeschoolers. I love to see how others homeschool. I like to call it world schooling. We traveled a lot with our children but were never able to go full time.

10. Laura Sherman January 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm #

Our family is planning to start Roadschooling June 1st! It is wonderful to hear about your adventures, as I have a similar goal to you. I can’t wait to get started!