The Light Life: A Little Inside Tour!

20130910-134201.jpg

Welcome to our tiny home on wheels! We’ve taken a few weeks to get acquainted with our new place (and each other again) and situated a bit. But we are settled in now and thought you might like to see the place the four of us have made our new home!

I won’t caption every single picture as they pretty well speak for themselves. However, I will be eventually doing a video tour on how we organize things to make living full time in 300 sq. feet work without going insane.

Welcome in!

20130910-134522.jpg

20130910-134501.jpg

20130910-134508.jpg

20130910-135315.jpg

20130910-135329.jpg

20130910-135336.jpg

We wanted the same verse that had hung in our big 2500 sq. foot house to hang in our 300 sq. foot home. Because we realized that we are living the abundant life. The abundant life has nothing to do with what we live in or what we possess, but everything to do with how we live.

What we’re learning is that  it doesn’t take a lot of money to make a home….or an amazingly rich life. No matter where you live, or how big or how small the space….any space, can feel like home.

Because a home has very little to do with the size of the walls and the amount of stuff that surrounds us, but more to do with how we use our time. And how this place in time together is making so much more room for our hearts to become more and more woven together – within this sweet little space….we call home

Contrary to what the American Dream has told us, things don’t create a rich life, but the quality of relationships with those we share life with..and a relationship with the one who created it all.

For sure, we have traded in a much bigger, impressive to the eye, busier life for one in which we can just throw off some dead weight….and live just a bit more slower, simple and light.

Abundantly light.

Feel free to ask any questions you’d like in the comments below and I’ll answer you!

, , , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to The Light Life: A Little Inside Tour!

1. randijo September 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

it’s goooorgeous!!

2. Sherry Peters September 10, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Beautiful! Very cozy, comfortable, and lovely :). What a delightful life you are making for your family!

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Thanks Sherry! 🙂 My goal was to make it feel cozy and homey. I think we’ve accomplished that. We are looking forward to lots of memories made together in it! Thank you so much for stopping by!

3. abbieunger September 10, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

We are selling everything and moving an hour out of town to a slow and sleepy beach town. This post gave me a new dose of courage. Selling everything is HARD. I have a question. Did you have a lot of support from family and friends? Our family seems to be nervous for us, but we know we are doing the right thing. How did y’all deal?
    PS you made that camper look so cute!

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Abbie, it DOES take a tremendous amount of courage to sell everything and move into this kind of simpler life. Anthony and I had already made up our minds for certain that we were doing this before we told our friends and family about our move. And honestly, I WAS extremely nervous about their reactions. Even though we knew we were going to do it anyways, we cared about their opinions and reactions.

I think many of them might have been nervous about it but i was surprised to discover that even through their concerns, they KNEW it was the right move for our family. It’s normal for them to be nervous for you, but if you have clearly stated your reasons and that you know this is right for your family….they will most likely come around and be supportive. Your friends and family love you and want you to be happy, so state your reasons, give them time to digest it and watch them come around!

At least that was our experience with the transition. Hope that helps!

PLEASE keep me posted on how the transition goes for you guys! I’d love to help and encourage anyway that I can! <3

4. Anne September 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

It is so cool what you have done. The American Dream is so distorted now. With all of the rush to get everything done our lives are getting lost in the shuffle. There is hardly anytime left for family. I home school and I own my own business so I have a little more freedom than some people. I would love to sell everything and hit the road. Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing more about your adventure!

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Thank you Anne! Yes, life tends to get way too rushed and even little out of control at times. We were starting to feel like we were just missing out on way too much time together as a family as things were. Suddenly huge houses and fancy things don’t mean much when you realize you are missing out on each other.

So now, we sort of feel like we’ve in a sense reclaimed our lives back from the rat race of normal society.

Thank you for your kind well wishes and for taking the time to stop by and comment! Blessings.

5. WagginTailsRV September 11, 2013 at 12:26 am #

Beautiful. It is obvious you have a designer’s touch.

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

🙂 Thank you so much! I do truly enjoy making living spaces feel warm and cozy. 😉
      Thanks for stopping in!

6. Andrea September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am #

Thanks for the tour, it’s really beautiful. What length is you travel trailer again? It looks huge to me 😉

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

You are so welcome Andrea! Happy to share our little journey with others! The camper is 38 ft. long. It’s around 300 sq. feet total living space. So not a lot, but it sure has proven to be enough. 🙂

• Andrea September 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Thanks! Our current trailer is 16′ and we are shopping around for something a bit bigger.

7. Roger Edington September 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

It looks nice a cozy inside! It is quite a change from a big house that you had before. In a few years we plan on doing the same minus the kids! I am glad that you decided to start this blog to give hope to the rest of us. If you can do it with four, then we (two) can be able to to do it as well!

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Roger, yes it is quite a change space wise. It’s interesting though that in our second week on the road both of our kids commented at different times that “this feels like our old home”. In that they meant that it had the same feeling of homeyness that our old (big) home had. Which proved to even me, that any space, big or small can feel like a home. It was encouraging to their dad and I to hear that they didn’t feel like they were on vacation in it all the time. We want it to feel like home because for now, it is!

And yes certainly, if the 4 of us can do it and enjoy it and not kill each other, then the 2 of you will be just fine when you decide to hit the road! 😉

Thanks so much for dropping by and adding to the conversation here! Blessings.

8. Lisa Lee September 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I love the layout of your trailer! You definitely have made it look and feel like a much bigger home. I’m eager to read more of your blog…it’s something I’ve thought about doing and have made changes (and continue to) in our own home. It’s very important and love the added family time when we don’t live materialistically.

• Rachel Rowell September 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks Lisa. So glad you found my blog and I look forward to seeing your face around here in the future as well! 🙂

9. Kristine September 11, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Great life great decor.I left corporate america, house, things 5 months ago to live in a travel trailer with my dogs. I wanted to be a snow bird now . I wait tables and love it again. I give you credit cause of kids, 4 in the rv etc……it looks great. People think im nuts but also that im free . Who cares what they think…….enjoy the road. I love towing everything with me.

• Rachel Rowell September 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I think it’s awesome Kristine! I think that success in life finding a way to do what you love…and if this is what you truly love…then you have found success! You can’t live your life for others because they don’t live your life or pay your bills…this I’ve learned. Sometimes people find fulfillment in a more simply life than anything corporate American could offer. It’s just that our society is so programed to view success with a very narrow view. Kudos to you! 🙂

10. Randy September 13, 2013 at 4:58 am #

I think I read that your husband is working full time in the construction industry. So, where do you frequently stay? and for how long at a time? how does he find work on the road?
    do you mostly stay at RV campgrounds or do you campout in the wilderness areas? Is your RV setup forsolar recharging of the batterys? or do you have a genset? I know lots of questions.
    We’re going full time in January.
    Randy

11. Rachel Rowell September 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Randy,

We could end up anywhere in the US but so far the jobs are looking like they are along the eastern coast anywhere from West Virginia to Florida.

Jobs could be anywhere from 3 months to 2 years. Depends on the size of the job.

He has his resume in with lots of companies plus his history with companies has him with no shortage of work. Not having work isn’t really a big concern. He frequently gets calls with job opportunities and he just decides if he wants to go on the job or have them keep him on their list for future jobs.

We stay in campgrounds when in a location for work because of all the amenities they offer: water, power, wi-fi, ect.

We are on battery power when not hooked up to a power source.

No on the genset so far. That may change in the future…remember we are still brand new at this!

Hope this answered some of your questions! 3 weeks in and so far we are really loving this life! There isn’t anything hard about it, just different with a few minor inconveniences (at times.) But none of them are big deals if this is something you really want to do! I guess maybe it would be different if this life hadn’t been a choice, but it was and we are thankful we made the jump! Best of luck!

12. Trudy Petersen September 16, 2013 at 12:36 am #

Beautiful home Rachel….the hubby and I just made the decision to become full time RV’ers this weekend….I’m now in the research phase! We are empty nesters and I think this would have been amazing to do with kids! What an education! I look forward to learning much from you. We will be liquidating over the next 1.5 years!

13. lorisprayercloset September 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Looove your little home. This is a bit nostalgic for me because my roommate just had to clean out her motorhome (which we both traveled in a lot) to trade it in for a car. We so enjoyed it and she would keep it if she could but she needs a good running car instead. Hopefully she can get another one someday 🙁

14. Joe Mann September 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Rachel
    Thanks for the blog. My wife and I made the decision to full time when we retire three years ago. We retire in June of 2015. We just invested in 13 year old 40 foot motorhome that looks brand new. We are extremely excited to become full timers. We will sell our home and most possessions (OMG there are so many). We live in Spokane, WA but plan on seeing all of North America before we “settle down”. Thanks for your blog. Althought our situation is a bit different, we are really enjoying reading your perspective on things. Perhaps we will see you “on the road” someday.

• Rachel Rowell September 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Hi Joe! Best of luck on your new life on the road as full-timers. I have a hunch you will LOVE it! We wouldn’t turn back for anything. Look forward to “staying connected” with you here! Honored you stopped by.

15. Already Reedemed in Texas September 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

We are dreaming of this exact possibility. Our kids are ten and seven and we have been dreaming of this a few years now. I’m a SAM that homeschools and we can’t think of a better gift to give our kids than to live richly with less. Really, the only thing holding us back is my husband finding a job that requires/allows travel. He’s a construction PM with a lot of diverse skills but we can’t seem to find the kind of work we’re looking for. Do you, or your husband, have any advice on how to break into the traveling side of the field? I’m so excited for your family, who knows, maybe we’ll meet on the road some day!

• Rachel Rowell October 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Jennie, let me give you my husband’s email address to pass long to your husband. If he would email him, I am sure my husband could give him some advice on how to get into the traveling side of that industry. anthonymrowell@gmail.com. Please pass this along to your husband. I will also give my husband a heads up to be on the lookout for an email from yours.

You know, at first traveling for work seemed like a HUGE inconvenience for our family – and then we realized that we could do it together. So what seemed like a huge mountain in the way of our family life turned out to be a bridge TO it. It’s funny how perspective works. We started choosing to see the opportunity in it, rather than the road block. So glad we surrendered our way, to a new one. We are loving this one SO much more.

Blessings to you! 🙂

• Already Reedemed in Texas January 13, 2014 at 1:58 am #

Just made it back here after all of our Holiday fun (business?) and saw your reply. I’ll pass this on to Steve for sure. I was showing him your website and when he saw your husband he said, “He looks like someone I could get along with”! I’m sure they can talk shop. On another note, we recently purchased a new (to us) truck out of necessity but we made sure it can handle a fifth wheel just in case… 🙂

• Rachel Rowell January 13, 2014 at 2:01 am #

Awesome. Maybe you guys will be able to move forward with things sooner than later! Anthony would love to chat with your husband and answer any questions/concerns he might have whenever he’s ready.

16. Jessica Lutz January 20, 2014 at 2:48 am #

Can you tell me the model of your rv? I love the setup

17. teresa grooms January 28, 2014 at 2:58 am #

Rachel I am very impressed with the warmth of your camper. We recently sold our home and stayed on summer in our camper. We are stationary and have our favorite items in storage while we decide where.life may take us. I was wondering how you hung up your photos and other items on the walls. Did you use removable adhesive products?

18. Sandra February 23, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

You have described the true meaning of life! We will be leaving a busy life in coming months to follow GOD and his calling on my heart. You have inspired me and your family may GOD continue to bless your travels and family.

19. Lindsay Vine February 24, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Hi Rachel, I’m a development producer and very interested in chatting to you further about a series which follows you and (let’s say) two other families as they take their lives on the road. Can we chat? I’ve attached my email address for you. Best, Lindsay.

20. Danielle Thibodeaux April 1, 2014 at 2:47 am #

Hi Rachel! I’m considering this kind of lifestyle and was wondering if I could email you some questions?

Thanks in advance!

21. Annasasia May 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

I LOVE your trailer! It is amazing! What kind is it? I’d love to find something similar for our upcoming possible full time adventure with kids & Homeschool!

22. NM4 July 8, 2014 at 2:08 am #

This is the exact 5er we want! How do you like full couch?

23. angie k July 8, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Just have to say! Thank you for being honest and open about it all i have read a few articles so far and love it 🙂
    My family of soon to be 4 will be making the transition in a matter of months to a year and it is all new to us more so me than my husband. So im greatful to see articles like this.

So here is my question…is safety ever an issue? This is something that has been weighing on me and really wanted to ask someone who does this with a family

24. NM4 July 26, 2014 at 7:56 am #

How do you like your open range light now that you’re in it. We’re considering your model out the one with the 2nd bathroom and only one bunk. Only downside I see is the lack of cabinets I’m guessing bcuz it makes it lighter on weight. LOVE the sectional couch!

25. Corrie January 14, 2015 at 12:28 am #

We are quickly moving toward this kind of lighter life. We have been purging and selling and giving away things ’till I my head swims! This weekend we move our new little home to our camp host position. My kids and I will be doing volunteer work at the lake (while my husband still has to go to his full time job. Though he’ll get to join the fun on weekends). We have an urgency in our hearts to get out of debt and breathe-in these short years with our kids. Our oldest is 15, our daughter almost 13 and our youngest us 5. I’m amazed at what this process of lightening has done in my heart already. I’m also amazed at what fits in a well organized camper. 🙂

26. Regina February 4, 2015 at 9:16 pm #

We are also living in a Camper, 2 adults, 2 kiddos and a dog 🙂 hopefully we will expand our family later on. My husband works from plant to plant everywhere so we move around. Its fun because the kids are homeschooled and we have the freedom of not worrying about a lot. We have each other and that is what matters 🙂

• Kim July 26, 2015 at 4:17 am #

Regina…we are looking to full-time RV with our 2 boys and 2 dogs…eek it seems like a lot (1 lab and 1 smallish dog). How does this work out? Do you set up a “yard” at camp sites? Thanks!

27. Mark April 26, 2015 at 1:24 am #

Thank you for sharing your experiences so far. We just recently purchased an Open Range like yours and transitioning to living it full time. I work at a small Christian camp and we will parking the trailer there and ultimately using it when we go to see family out of state.

I was curious if you have ever had any trouble with your slide outs leaking during extended stays since you have been on the road.

28. carrie verdino May 15, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

me and my husband are in our early 50’s and have 2 dogs and 2 cats . what do you do for money? we have been thinking about this for awhile but are scared. what is a good type of rv. the one with the car attached or the one that is separated?

29. priscillakristina February 7, 2016 at 4:13 am #

Hi! We’ve looked at this floor plan in the Lite our only conern was in the winter would it be warm enough? Do you find that the colder months are difficult? We live in Washington state where it’s particularly cool/cold, would you recommend it? TIA!! your home is gorgeous! before AND after! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. RV Life Q&A Session: Part 1 | - April 3, 2014

[…] So far we are genuinely loving our Open Range Light! (You may tour our RV home here! ) It is ideal for our family of four because it has a bunk house (a second bedroom) for the […]