7 Downsides To Full-Time RV Life

20130910-134201

You may not believe me when I say this, but there are a few downsides to living full-time in a 38 foot camper with four people. So just for fun, I thought I’d let you in on the truth!

1.  THE BATHROOM – I will just start with the worst. And yes, I have subtitles on how many issues I have with it.

• While I am grateful that we have everything we need (toilet, shower, sink) Personally, I do not enjoy hurrying to take take a shower in something that feels like the size of a tanning bed with 1/2 the water pressure of a normal shower before the water turns to ice. And let’s not even talk about what it’s like to add shaving your legs into the mix. I dislike it so much so that if there is a decent bath house around, my daughter and I opt for that instead. My husband doesn’t agree…but he’s a guy and has never tried shaving his legs in a tanning bed space.
  • While sharing one bathroom is an adjustment, it isn’t terrible. What is a little odd however is laying in bed at night and my daughter telling us stories while sitting on the toilet 4 feet away.

But hey! The plus side is, in the morning I just slide out of bed right onto the toilet!….no walking required!

• It is genuinely not enjoyable to be blowdrying your hair and it stop mid cycle and shut down everything else in the camper because it flipped a breaker.  (however that shouldn’t normally happen – only thanks to the current campground we are at.)

2.  Microwave – A camper microwave takes about twice as long as a normal one to heat things up. I also have to either turn the air conditioner off when I use the microwave or just cross my fingers that it doesn’t flip a breaker.

3.  Water Usage & How much we poop – You never really think about how much water you use during a normal day…. until you move into a camper in which how often you have to move the entire camper to empty the tanks depends on how fast they fill up. Suddenly, leaving water running for any reason and for any length of time has become a serious offense that my kids just don’t understand! And us much as I loath using public bathrooms, if we’re out and we have to really “go”, let’s just say we don’t wait until we’re home. Don’t judge – we have tank space to save!

**we already tried to pull along tank unloader….my husband is 6’3 and it about does his back in to pull it to the dump site once it’s full. And if it isn’t full he has to make several trips to get it all. It’s just a huge pain so we’ve opted to move the entire camper to dump about every 2 days.

4.  Moving – Moving the camper from one location to the next is one thing. But having to put all lose items, decor. and such away and run in all the slides every two days so you can move your entire home to dump the tanks, isn’t my favorite thing to do right before dinner in the evening.

I sort of feel like the maid on “Mary Poppins” When she cries “POST EVERYONE!” just before the cannon blasts go off and everything in the house starts falling off the walls!

5.  Shaking – No matter what they tell you and all you can possibly do to minimize it, everything shakes pretty easily in a camper, even with good stabilizers. Need I say more?

6.  Laundry – I’m not even sure it’s fair to list this here because my issues with laundry go WAY back, no matter what size space we live in. We’ve learned that we go through one full load of dirty laundry a day. So every day that goes by that I don’t go somewhere to wash, is another load that collects. So when we wear a change of clothes, if they aren’t truly dirty at the end of the day – we put them back away! So far I’ve been washing every other day so the dirty laundry doesn’t pile up….and so I don’t spend all day washing. But then again, not having a washer and dryer in our living space is an adjustment. Loading laundry in and out of the car and driving a few miles to get it done isn’t convenient, but hey! the clothes get cleaned. A little inconvenience never killed anyone.

7. Making beds – Making beds in a camper should be considered an olympic sport. It requires all manners of stretching, jumping and vocal sounds to accomplish. I am positive I burn at least 200 calories and get a full stretching routine in a day making beds.

BONUS: S’mores – I have literally had one s’more every. single. day. since we pulled out for full time RV life. Some would say that’s a good thing, my skinny jeans probably wouldn’t agree. 😉

After three weeks on the road these are truly the only down sides I have found….so far. I know there will be many more to come in the future BUT I will also have to say that most of these issues will be resolved when we are in a campground in which the people are honest with us up front when we make our reservations and TELL US that they don’t have any full hook-up sites available and we will be put on a wait list. (sigh)

The up side is, we are here for a very short time left (only 2 or 3 more weeks) so it isn’t a huge deal. Still, a sewage hookup when you are living for six weeks in one spot…is sort of a big deal.

The thing is, we knew that life would be different and there would inevitably be little things that we would lose that we were used to having. We had weighed the cost before we ever pulled out. But I can truthfully say that the little things we’ve lost pale in comparison to all of the innumerable freedoms we have gained.

*this list was compiled after only 3 weeks full-time on the road. For informational purposes for others I will continue to add to it as we discover new things! 😉

Feel free to comment any questions, tips and tricks below!

, , ,

111 Responses to 7 Downsides To Full-Time RV Life

1. Lynn Bonelli~Tales From the Mutiny September 12, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Welcome to full-timing! I look forward to hearing about your other ‘discoveries’ as they arise and hope that most are only inconveniences like these. While we only have 2 people in our Class A RV we have finally gotten to the point that we can stretch our tank dumps to once a week or even longer. We have a tote but my husband has figured out a way to attach it to the Jeep (our tow vehicle) bumper rather than us pulling it. Anything less than 50 amps will cause stuff to shut down if using multiple appliances.,,as you are finding out the biggest energy suckers are things that heat or cool (AC, hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave or convection oven, toaster). We often have to turn something off to use something else if we are at a 30 amp site. Also, we have a switch on our shower head so we can turn off the water while we lather up or I shave my legs. Not my favorite way to shower but I generally never run out of hot water (we have a 6 gallon tank). But yes, I will opt for a campground shower every time if we don’t have a sewer hook up at our site. Oh, and the rubberized shelf liner does wonders at keeping things from sliding around when you move the trailer. We have them under our coffee maker and a basket on the counter full of spices. Some things have been mounted with velcro strips too. Anything to minimize ‘tear down’ especially when you have to move (or dump) frequently.

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

thanks so much Lynn! I love learning little things from other veteran full-timers. It takes a while to figure all this out and how to make the journey a bit easier. Advice like yours is invaluable.

• TERRI September 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I wonder why most women I know, who are full-timers, still try to shave their legs in the shower? Electric shavers for women work great. No water needed.

• Kathryn Ramsay September 20, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Thankyou for sharing all the wonderful pics and experiences you and your family have shared! Sounds like the life I am looking for! I look forward to following your blog! Thanks again! Kathryn Ramsay

• Rachel Rowell September 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Thank you so much Kathryn! I’m so honored you stopped by and are following along with our journey. 🙂

• Barb September 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Must be you aren`t hooked up to a reg. site, or have a very big camper. We hook up to are. site a don`t have to move, don`t have to move to dump. We have a 24 foot and have a good size shower with a tub. water pressure is very good. Our microwave works the same as the one at home. We have cable tv, internet hook up,

• Brenda Fisher May 6, 2017 at 4:09 am #

What kind of trailer do you have and do you live in year round?

• Julie July 17, 2016 at 11:28 pm #

I had a different take on #5. Not a full time RVer, but learning all I can before we begin our trip from WY to Florida in November!

2. bonniekappler September 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Love this so much! We just finished the third month full timing. The only thing I would add is what I call the thimble sink with my large dinner plates.

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

ahhh bonnie I have a tip for that! 😉 I’ll be posting a post soon on tips and organizing. Look for it! Thanks for stopping by!

3. Trudi September 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

You definitely need a 5th wheel. We have tons of room for our full-time lifestyle. We have been doing it for over a year.

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

that’s awesome Trudi, we will have to look into them when we are ready to upgrade! 🙂

• Sandy September 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Anyone looking for a Full-Time Fifth Wheel 50 amp. 2 a/c heat pumps and the only thing missing is a dishwasher. I have an 07 Newmar Kountry Aire 40′ triple slide with full body paint for sale. She’s a beauty. I recently left the full-time life to go back to land living due to medical issues. Contact me at Bathe1@msn.com for full information.
      Full-timer gone home….. and so thankful for the 9 years in my Rv’s….. Sandy

• Marijo Hudson September 10, 2015 at 3:13 am #

Hello Sandy! My husband & I are full timers also and we’ve done fairly well in our 33 footer but he’s looking to retire soon so we’re thinking of upgrading! Of course that’s why your post caught my eye!! Anyway I would like to maybe see a few pics & hear a little more! I will be anxiously awaiting to hear back from you!

4. Katrina September 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

You’ll get used to the Navy shower thing even with shaving the legs. The water should only be on when wetting down or rinsing off soap. If you don’t have a shutoff on the shower head, get one. It makes all the difference. To get more pressure, change the shower head to an Oxygenics one that you can find at RV stores like Camping World and even on Amazon.com. HUGE difference!

I have a blue boy tank to haul sewage too but mine has a metal handle I can pop over the trailer hitch on the back of the truck and haul it to the dump VERY slowly.

If you have any room in a closet to store them, they do make small washing machines for apartments which are available at Walmart and Amazon. I have a small one as well as a spin dryer that spins the water out of the clothes so that they are nearly dry when they come out and finish drying in 3 hours instead of 3 days. Yeah, if you aren’t sweating in your clothes or spilling food all over them, you don’t need to change as often. A lot of RVers don’t change everyday.

Give it some time. You’ll figure all this stuff out and how to make the lifestyle comfortable for you. Of course, having full hookups with that many people on board makes a big difference. Hang in there! Welcome to a wonderful life!

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

gee Katrina what a wealth of amazing tips! Thank you so much for that. I’ll definitely look into the Oxygenics shower head! And yes, life will be much easier when we have full hookup…that we are looking forward to! Thanks so much for stopping by and adding to the conversation!

• Bryan Carbonnell September 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

If your sewer tote doesn’t have the metal handle that Katrina’s doors, you can strap it to a 2 wheeled hand cart (appliance dolly) and wheel it that way. Or depending on how big it is, fashion a way to tie it up to your trucks trailer hitch.

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

haha! I’ll share these tips with my husband Bryan. Maybe that would save us having to move to dump! 🙂

• Selena December 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I have been full timing for 4 years, and I agree with the Oxygenics shower head. Bed Bath and Beyond sells multi-setting models, and Camping World sells standard 1-setting models. They are hand held shower heads that use air to pressurize the water, giving you more pressure while using less water. I can stretch a shower on a 6 gallon tank to almost 15 minutes with this set up before the water turns cold. For pressure issues, you may want to see if your RV has a pressure-check valve installed. It’s designed to prevent damage to your pump when hooked to city systems, but is pointless if hooked up to a gravity-fed system. You can take it out when needed and it should make a big difference.
      One thing my husband did to help alleviate excessive power usage on one circuit was to cut in a separate outlet through a cubby door under the dining table that connects directly to the 15 or 20 amp plug in the power stand. We put surge protecting power strips on this outlet and use it to power high-draw items like heaters, dehumidifier (a MUST if you are in a place with any humidity: keeps mold from forming behind furniture and cabinets, and makes the atmosphere much more comfortable), and other lamps, laptops, etc. This can save your power inverter as well, because if you consistently overload it, you will notice your lights starting to dim and you will be hit with a $800+ replacement cost. As you travel around, you may find that some RV parks have iffy power supplies. I would suggest putting surge protectors on anything with value (tv, laptops, etc), and a large one made for RVs on your main power cord to the stand. I have seen other people not do this and get a surge that will blow out TVs, melt components on microwaves and destroy inverters.

Good luck, and happy camping!

5. Janice Binns September 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Ditto on the Oxygenics shower head. We are not fulltime YET, but go on weekends and vacations. Can’t wait to get our place sold and get on the road!

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

if you enjoy weekends and vacations you will love full-time I am sure! Good luck in getting your place sold quickly so you can get on the road! 🙂

6. sara galbraith September 12, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

the oxygenics is wonderful! clothes are worn a few times by us too unless sweaty, spilled on or of course underwear. your microwave shouldnt be that slow. i would look into it. good luck! it is a great lifestyle. just enjoy the ride!

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Will def. look into the microwave. It’s brand new so I would assume it should cook correctly. It could just be that our power am-page isn’t what it should be…thanks to the fact that the current travel park is overloaded. Thanks Sara!

7. George & Suzie September 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Welcome to fulltiming. We are in our 8th year, but just the two of us. We learn to conserve and can go 10 days without moving our coach. Frequently no hook ups and seldom use the microwave. Microwave works fine if you have enough power but other electrical appliances will slow everything down unless you have a good 30 amp 50 amp service.
    We mostly frequently run only on solar power so no electrical other than tv and internet and charging laptops.
    It is an adjustment but the lifestyle is sure worth it to us. We also seldom stay in one place more than two weeks as well.
    And yes the Oxygenics shower head is amazing.

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Loving the tips from a veteran full-timer George & Susie! Excited to see how much better things will be once we are at a travel park with full hook ups as we had originally planned on! In the evenings even the air conditioner struggles to run appropriately because apparently their power is overloaded or something. It’s strange! We are in the mountains and maybe people up here aren’t used to any kind of luxury….. 😉

8. Evelyn B September 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

I agree the microwave is probably running slow due to low power. We love our Oxygenics shower head, much better water pressure. I think you’ll find having a full hook-up site will help greatly with some of the inconveniences you are experiencing. I use a sticky substance I got at the hardware store referred to as plumber’s putty ( not sure of the actual name) to hold down all my loose items while traveling. We’ve been fulltiming for three years and nothing has fallen. It works great. I also use double sided sticky velcro for everything on the walls. This also has held up without anything coming loose during travel. We retired 10 years earlier than the convention to have the freedom you are experiencing. We’ve been loving every minute of it. If you’re interested in our story, my blog is http://rvkhroniclesofkevelyn.blogspot.com/

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Thank you so much for the timely advice Evelyn. I will definitely get some of the putty – what a great idea. Also, the sticky backed velcro works amazing….as long as it’s large enough for the weight of the item it’s holding. Learned that the hard way. Also, I’m thinking the water pressure may be much better at a travel park that isn’t maxed out as this one seems to be. Also, it isn’t city water, it’s well water so I bet that is making a difference in the water pressure.

My husband wanted to buy an RV and travel once we retired one day so I guess even though he’s still working full time, we are doing that dream a bit early! 😉 I will check out your blog!

9. cozybegone September 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Love the aerobic reference to making beds…I try to add a few moves to it while making the climb over :O) Holding tanks are the toughest for me….it’s like a dream when we venture into a FHU park! Or when using the campground facilities…the chance to use the biggest wad of TP I can get my hands on. But sure wouldn’t trade all the pleasures, adventure, and love for our journey…you are settling right in there and with two children! Hats off to you…wish my grandkids were that lucky! P.S. Are you going to offer a drop down menu on your side margin….handy when going back to read on. ~cozygirl

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

Cozy girl, I just added a menu to my side bar just for you! Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂 And YES to the big wads of toilet paper when in regular bathrooms! 😉 We are thankful to be able to do this with our kids while they are still small. Hoping they will see past anything they may feel they are missing out on in a more normal life and realize all of the opportunities this way of life will afford them! I think they will thank us one day! 😉

• Kris Henderson September 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I was going to ask about the ages of your kids. So your hubby works full time – telework I’m assuming?? Someday we will be there……..have to get our son through the rest of high school and college first! 🙂

10. Andrea September 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Moving from a house to a travel trailer definitely takes some adjustment. We use the shower head that turns off to exend our tank use, usually only have to empty the tanks every 4 days (5 people but one isn’t potty trained yet). Thankfully I don’t have and air conditioner, microwave, coffee maker or hair dryer to deal with 😉 You know what I love about trailer life,
    my husband does all the laundry now that we have to take it to the laundromat, while I stay home with the kids (about once a week). And the whole place top to bottom, front to back take about 20 min to get sparkling clean!

• Rachel Rowell September 12, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

Andrea,

We are DEFINITELY gonna have to change shower heads…we are just using the one on it from the factory…NOT user friendly. Also, that is pretty dang awesome that your husband does all the laundry…I mean, who could complain about not having a washer and dryer when you have an even better deal going? 😉 And YES…I spend SO much less of my life cleaning now. It takes an incredibly short amount of time to get things tidy before we start our day every morning…again, making beds are the worst part about it.

Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

11. AL September 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

We have been at it for 2 years and it is a learning experience. Especially city people like us that never even went camping before we started RVing. Best of luck and happy trails from MEXICO!!

12. Debra Hurley Bahr September 19, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

I screwed most of the pictures to the wall and counter sunk the screws then put wooden “buttons” in the holes. No longer have to take them down when moving, When changing camp sites, the coffee pot goes into the sink with a towel around it as does the plants. With a back living room the chairs are turned so the slide can come in and the things like table lamp and misc items are put there with the couch pillows to keep them in place………… the worse thing is the pantry if it is not full you have a mess inside there when you stop………..We are close to full timing it… over 9 weeks this trip on the road.

13. Sam September 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Welcome to full-timing and life on the road! We started full time rv-ing in 2002, but we had a 45-ft 5th wheel and a Freightliner truck and there was only the 2 of us. Our problem was being too big! We couldn’t fit well in the state & national parks. We now have a 35 ft Class A. We always said the best part of rv-ing, if we didn’t like the scenery… or our neighbors, we could just move!

14. Diane September 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

My husband and I lived 4 years full time in a fifth wheel. But in a wonderful FHU park where we didn’t have to deal with a dumping issue. But if you chose a site that wasn’t FHU the park provided a dumping service where they would bring a huge portable tank and dump for you. The one lesson we learned the hard way was to not have your awning straight. When it wasn’t angled so the rain could pour down, it would fill and sag so bad that once we had to be cut out of our camper. Felt like I was in an I love Lucy show. I love the days when we were full timing. I taught all my grandkids how to swim in the summers. We had fishing just down the block from us. And all our neighbors were on vacation. I loved it. Best of luck to you and your family.

15. Karen September 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

I full-timed for four years. Now, I travel half the year. It was just me and the pups, but I did begin in a 29′ class C with only thirty amps. I was always blowing the fuse, and I upgraded to a class A diesel Pusherwith 50 amps. Fifty amps really provide two fifty amp lines, for a total of 100amps. I also added a washer/dryer combo and a drawer dishwasher. Then I felt as if I were in a
    home.

To help your tanks go longer, do not put toilet paper in to the toilet. Keep a small trash can, with lid, next to the toilet, or you can purchase a diaper trash can to dispose the TP. It is well worth the cost.

There are many wonderful used fifth wheels for sale if you decide that you want more amenities. One great place is pplmotorhomes.com.

16. Linda September 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Hi Rachel…welcome to living the dream :)…It looks like you are getting plenty of good tips…My husband and I tried to go full time a few years ago..but we were traveling with my mother (82 yrs) at the time…which brought its own set of challenges…we were 3 adults, 3 pets (2 dogs and a cat) in a 35 ft class A….I was doing the work camper thing while my husband worked construction….(hubby and I slept on the couch)….I learned to do a lot of cooking outside so I could take advantage of the added power from the pole…worked well when using crock pot, toaster over…we also carried an extra fridge with us (small studio size) the we also plugged in out side…we were fortunate enough to stay at one location for 3 mo …and the next for 1….before we decided to come back to the world of sticks and bricks…..so the set up/tear down was not an issue.

Good luck in your travels….I look forward to following your adventures

17. Linda September 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Love your blog! We have been camping for 30 yrs and still love doing it . Sad to see fall came in away , but look forward too spring! It just hubby and I and two dog. I hope to full times one day ! Bless you and keep the blogs coming ! We camp a lot at Peir Lon Park , RV campground,Ohio love it

18. Jeanne September 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

We aren’t full timers yet, but have had every kind of camper, RV. The retirement camper we purchased is a 44′ 5th wheel toyhauler. (We are motorcyclist & atver’s.) If you upgrade at some point, toyhauler’s offer more open space & there are beds in the garage area that go up to the ceiling on a track when your not sleeping. If needed we could sleep 9 people. Offer more living space. When you pick up & move, throw all loose items/bikes etc in garage area & take off. We have 48 gal black, 78 gal grey & 160 gal fresh tanks & a generator, something to think about. Pretty much self contained if your camping sites aren’t up to expectations.

There are usually only 2 of us traveling, but we have been able to go 10-12 days before having to dump. Trick to toilets, only throw toilet paper in when you go #2. I have a waste basket by toilet for other toilet tissue & dump out every day or so. The shower advise people are giving is right on. Only have water on when getting wet & rinsing. A lot of campers have a outdoor water system, so a person could do a quick rinse off of exposed skin outside.

Enjoying reading, will be watching your blog.

Jeanne

19. Chris O'Rourke September 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Rachel, enjoyed reading your BLOG and FB page. I seems like everyone has covered most of your downsides except for the shaking. We are not full-time but planning on it within a year. From your picture I see your travel trailer has the same style stabilizer jacks as our travel trailer. I have reduced the shaking by adding large blocks of wood under the jacks. I find the less I extend the jacks the less it shakes. Now this requires that I carry a large amount of wood. Hope this helps.

20. Chef Beth September 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

One thing I learned is to buy the rolls of velcro straps. I put a screw through a large washer & screwed it right to the wall on one end of the strapping. I put one side of the velcro strip (the nylon loop side facing out) on one side of the appliance & the other (the soft side of the velcro) against the appliance. Be sure to cut the strips so they attach to each other for about 3 inches. This will keep your appliance from sliding on the counter going down the road. I also put little squares of the rubber shelf liner under each foot of the appliance. I hope you can visualize what I am saying here. I did this to my toaster oven, 13″ TV (this is before flatscreens existed), coffee maker, etc & nothing ever moved! Just unstrap the items when you camp & strap them in before you go down the road. I also installed the space saver appliances ASAP…coffee maker, can opener. Also I installed a painted piece of white garden lattice from the counter to the bottom of my overhead kitchen cabinet behind the sink. It still lets the light through but I have tons more storage by adding the large cup hooks with the safety clips. I hang my cooking utensils on the lattice, like my spatulas, serving spoons, etc. I also attached a paper towel rack to the top of it. To gain more space in the sinks I installed high gooseneck faucets in both the kitchen & bathroom sinks. Now I can wash large items easily in the kitchen sink & my husband can wash his large hands with room to spare in the bathroom sink. This was all done in a large truck camper. It really added space & made our travels much more comfy! If you get to a campground & discover there is no sewer hookup at your site, don’t be afraid to tell them you want to move ASAP to a site with a sewer dump! In fact pester them for it! They will find you one just to shut you up! LOL Leg shaving is easier for me by putting hot water in the bathroom sink & using the cheapest hair conditioner you can buy for shaving cream. It really makes your skin soft & it’s cheap! You also use much less water! I lived in my truck camper when I went back to school for a year. It was a little crowded but it worked. Next we will go with a 5th wheel with a washer/dryer in it! If you go that route you MUST have an open sewer line hooked up when the washer is running or your tank will overflow. Hope I’ve been able to help a little!

21. Mikki September 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

I just sold my motorhome (sadly) and I really miss the RV life and all the friends I made. Just a thought for you: Have you looked into joining Thousand Trails??? It’s an awesome way to travel, or not. Check it out!!

22. Linda September 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

LOL Its funny to hear the stories! I am thankful to have a washer/dryer combo in our 5th wheel…its amazing!!! Our stabilzers work miracles for the “shake and jiggle” that we used to experience when we didn’t use the tri-bar for the front. I have never run out of hot water and never had to “pause it”…but the lady above that mentioned Oxygenics is correct, we have the “rainfall” head from them and it rivals home!
    And yes, the putty works great on the back of clocks and pictures to stabilize them from jiggle!!!
    Hubby installed a switch for when we run the washer/dryer-you flip it to washer and it cuts the Electric from the Microwave. When I am done with laundry you flip it to Microwave and it cuts electric from washer/dryer. Plus, being in a perm site I worry about storms, power surges, etc. You cant put an extra surge protector on a mic or washer/dryer-so I always flip it to mic when we are gone-I would much rather replace that little microwave then the washer/dryer!!!!
    And yes, outside fridges no matter what size always help!! We bought a Traeger smoker grill and you can make ANYTHING on them!! Including frozen pizza!!!
    LOVE MY 5th WHEEL and CAMPING!!

23. Jen September 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Love your blog! Thanks for sharing all the good and not-so-good about full-timing with the family! My husband and I dream of the day when we bid adieu to the house and suburbia and live full time on the road – we have 8 years left! I always, always, wanted to ditch it ALL and take the family on the road to live simply and adventurously like you and your family are – but the logistics of pulling all 5 kids away from their “friends” and lives and trying to fit into a camper were just too overwhelming to us. I dream about it, though, and certainly every single time we are camping (which is as many weekends as we can fit in right now) it is all I think about – how great it would be to live on the road. Even the kids want to – camping is in their blood – but taking that first step is hard to wrap my head around! Kudos to you and your husband for taking such an amazing journey with your family – you are never going to regret it! Keep writing and we’ll keep living vicariously through you! Thanks again! 🙂

24. Kate Frayne Brown September 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Just my husband and I in a 33′ Class C, with 2 50 pound dogs. We aren’t fulltiming yet but plan to be in 3 years. I now use an electric shaver…..we have an oxygenics shower head and a small shower both of which are great, especially since I can shave anywhere now.

25. Charles Garcia September 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Hello fellow campers!!! My wife and I with our two dogs travel not full time but will usually plan out a two to three week trip. I suggest before you ever leave do the most research on the rv parks in the areas you plan to stay. A good start is Woodalls Rv park guide and on the net go to Rv Park reviews. Like you we sport a 34 foot travel trailer pulled with a Ford F-250 diesel pick-um-up-truuuck. This allows us to fill up in the truck lanes. Everywhere we go we request a pull through 30 amp full hook up. If 50amp is only available we have an adapter plug. We believe trouble free arrival and set up makes for a pleasant stay.We took two weeks traveled from St Louis to Niagara Falls to Boston to Philadelphia and back to the StL. Awesome trip!!! Happy trails!!!

26. mary Lou Cannata September 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

One piece of advice that no one posted: NEVER leave the campground with your awning fully extended. My husband and I were resident campers for 5 years on Long Island at the beach. I can’t tell you how many times we ran around closing camper’s awnings when a quick storm popped up. I can’t remember how many awnings were torn or thrown on top of the rigs. It is an expensive lesson to learn the hard way.
    Wish we could join you full timing, it is an awesome life!

27. Susanne September 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

If you haven’t I’d think about joining Good Sam. You get discounts at Good Sam Parks, at Camping World, at some gas stations too and some stores. You can go online to find great parks, map your next trip, etc. And I highly recommend Good Sam Road Service. They have saved our butt more than once when we had a breakdown.

I really enjoyed reading your post!! I’d love to go full-time but my husband can’t stand the thought of not having a house. I have a small (18 ft) Class C and have spent a lot of time on the road by myself or with the dog. My husband prefers a motel, but I think he’d enjoy RVing if we had a bigger RV.

• Sabrina October 17, 2013 at 1:53 am #

Hi! I would add joining Flying J’s (gas station/truck stop) program. Discount on gas. Free Wifi at their stations, free dumping, propane available, etc.
      I have a 30′ class A that I am in the process of renovating. I plan on (almost) full-timing within the next year or two.

28. Louann W September 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I didn’t read all of the other comments, so I don’t know if someone already posted about this….
    We just returned from a week of camping with our four-year-old granddaughter at a state park campground that only has electric hookup. We always fill up with water at one of their convenient stations before parking at our spot. We use the campground restrooms as much as possible and try to use the camper bathroom only if it’s pouring rain or at night. They also have great dish-washing sinks with great big counters at the restrooms, and again, as long as it’s not pouring rain, that’s where I do our dishes (pots and pans mostly…I use paper as much as possible). As far as sewage goes, we purchased a large portable sewage tank with wheels at an RV supply store for $198. You can empty up to 35 gallons of waste (gray or black), hook it up to your tow vehicle with supplied tow handle, and take it to the dump station. No more packing up to empty the tanks! You just have to watch your tank indicators so that you won’t overflow your portable tank. Good luck!

29. Jane McArdle September 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

we will be joining the ranks of full timers in just over a week,woohoo, in my research a guy named mike recommends a thing called super bags it is apparently a sleeping bag with sheets attached and has a summer winter side I goggled it but I’m sure they other search engines would send you right to it as well thank you for all your tips so far and I am looking forward to organizing and helpful information

30. Jane McArdle September 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

Does anyone have any ideas on how to conceal the tv and all the components that come with it

31. Robert Woolfolk September 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Love your blog! Even though we are not full timers we did travel extensively with the kids in tents and RVs and they are most appreciative now as adults. Good luck to you.

32. DeWain September 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

To stop a lot of the shaking, try using a small scissor jack just firmed up under the spring shackle on each side. We do this on our fifth wheel and it helps a lot.

33. Terri and Lou September 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

I didn’t have time to read all the recommendations but one we learned from some fellow full timers is to use a dish pan to wash and rinse your dishes – dump the water from the pan into the toilet – that never fills up as fast as the gray water and it helps to rinse things out when you do dump.

34. Jan September 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Bottom line: you HAVE to have full hook-ups or you are not going to be happy campers! We have been full-timing for 2 years now (just two retired folks). Recently we discovered workamping, which almost always scores you a premium (AND FREE) site in exchange for 10-20 hours of interesting work a week. Some workamping jobs want a three month commitment; others would like a year, which might fit with your lifestyle better. And like someone said earlier, if you don’t like the job or don’t like the neighbors, you can always move on!

Are your kids home-schooled or are you trying to stay in a school district? The latter would be more restrictive.

• Rachel Rowell September 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Jan,
      I agree. As of last week we now have full-hookup and are SO much better. And yes, our children are homeschooled. I’m not sure I would have gone on the road full-time if they weren’t. It would be way to hard to switch them from school to school. We had been homeschooling a year when we decided to make this move so it made the transition MUCH more doable.

35. Phyllis Boyse September 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

A couple of tips for someone that has lived in an RV for over 10 years and two of them were only 25 ft.

1st, always empty the black water (from toilets) tank first, then the gray water (from sinks and shower). One thing my husband and I have done (some might find it gross), we do NOT throw any toilet paper in the toilet. Have a covered waste basket, and for all stool wipes, roll them in more tissue like you do sanitary napkins. Toilet paper is the number one reason for impacted holding tanks. And ALWAYS close the black water holding tank in between empting it. Leave gray water tank open as it will fill your tank very quickly. If you leave the black water tank open – you will get sewer worms.

#2 – when taking a shower – to save a little bit of hot water – get in, turn on shower, get wet – turn off nozzle, soap down (and shampoo), turn nozzle back on and rinse. You would be surprised how much hot water you can save for others.

#3. ALWAYS keep extra pressure regulators on hand for your water connection into the RV. That is where you will lose water pressure. Most RV parks require them, but they are the things that go out the quickest. Always keep 2-3 on had at all times.

And one thing – please be respectful of the parks you stay in and DO NOT park in the grass yards next to you. Make sure you park back far enough to get your vehicle in your site. We live in an RV park – fulltime – my husband works for them – (we still travel too), and so many people won’t listen to the workers when they are directing them in their sites – so consequently we have “idiots” that insist on parking in the grassy areas next to their sites – and when we have rain, it creates deep trenches that the mowers have to work around. RV’s for most part are great people, but there are a lot of “arrogant” idiots that don’t care about how they treat the park they stay in. We tell them, “how would you like us to come visit your neighbors and park in the middle of your front yard”, but that doesn’t do anything to their mentality. And PLEASE pick up after your pets. All RV parks have that rule – but many don’t have time to drive around all day watching you walk your pets.

There are a lot of things you can learn on your own – just use common sense and act like that is your home yard and not someone else’s.

• Rachel Rowell September 23, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Phyllis, THANK YOU so much for your tips. I always enjoy learning from the wisdom of those who have been full-timing for a while. Thank you stopping by and adding your voice! Look forward to staying connected some in the future!

• Bob September 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

A simple solution for toilet issues is to have a compost “dry” toilet. No water waste. No toilet paper in the tank to create problems. Easier to dump, just change the liner like changing the liner in the trash can that has been suggested for toilet paper.

• Liz June 13, 2016 at 5:48 pm #

Surprisingly some people find it gross, but like you, we also do not put toiler paper in our camper toiler. In fact, to prevent it from happening, we actually don’t bring along toiler paper at all. We have young kids, so we just grab a pack of baby wipes and leave it near the toilet. We use that, and put it in a trash can with lids nearby. The use of baby wipes makes for a better happy feeling while cleaning significantly better than traditional toilet paper. We just empty the trash can every day and have had no problem with this habit.

36. Judy September 20, 2013 at 1:05 am #

We were having trouble with canned goods and the like falling out of the cupboards when traveling. After a few failed experiments, the best idea I came up with was to use round café curtain rods. Our door handles are perpendicular and I just slide them through and use duct tape to secure. No more problem there!

• Susanne September 20, 2013 at 1:16 am #

I use small curtain extension rods, the kind that are adjustable with springs inside. I put them across the inside of my refrigerator & cupboards to keep things from falling out when I open the doors.

• Mary McMillen September 20, 2013 at 1:52 am #

I stacked everything in plastic containers, the kind used to store stuff. Then when I got to the site,if I were to stay a few days to weeks, I’d just take the goods out & store the containers underneath the benches.

• Mary Lou Cannata September 20, 2013 at 2:53 am #

Another solution is to get tension rods and place them inside the cabinets to hold things on the shelves. I use these inside the fridge too for when travelling in our class C.

• Jeanne September 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

For items falling out of cabinets, refrig–I bought plastic baskets & totes that are the depth of the compartments & put items in them. I have some overhead cabinets that are tall will no shelf, so small totes work great, can stack them. I line can food items on their side & can stack the totes. Baskets I sort out socks, underwear etc in them. Works great. Found some great basket containers at Walmart last spring & they work well in refrig & kitchen cabinets for spices, etc. An idea

37. Mary McMillen September 20, 2013 at 1:50 am #

I did 4 months as a workamper in an upscale RV Resort in Okeechobee, Florida, only 2 hours from my home. I basically wanted to get away from my home & my now, ex-husband. I took my 3 dogs, 2 boxers,both deaf and my little maltese with me off I went for 4 months of cleaning, 3 days a week, 8 hours each day. I have a 32 Foot 05′ Coachman Spirit of America Travel Trailer with a rear kitchen, huge slide out ,which gave me tons of space, along with dog dishes, beds, computer table & table for my printer. I had the same problem with my microwave & hair dryer with having to shut off the air. But it worked well for me and I loved it! I had been offered a job in Ocala at another RV resort, working in the office only 2 days for a full hookup. Cable, wi-fi included, laundry allowance, same as the other one, but because I was in the middle of the divorce, I couldn’t leave. If I could ever see my way to get a motorhome, I’d go back to this life without a thought.

38. Debbie Robbins September 20, 2013 at 2:04 am #

LOVE IT…..
    When you can Upgrade you won’t have ANY of those issues!!!
    LOVE Full Timing… Hubby and I have been 2 years in a 38 ft Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser…
    We LOVE Boondocking… and only 2 using bathroom (not 4) makes a difference I know!!!
    so if you are NOT hooked up to Sewer that is indeed a hassle to break down and dump!!!
    LAUNDRY: I LOVEEEEEEE my all in one Washer/Dryer!!!! So LOVEEEE it…
    you will too when you get one!!!!

so now we just need to SELL our 40 acre Property and get out from under those TAXES… then we will be truly Happy!!!!

Deb Robbins 🙂

39. Amy September 25, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Love you r blog and am going to love following you. We are a family of 4, with 2 kids (6 mons & 2 years). We just sold our home and are buying our 5th wheel in November. We plan on hitting the road next year after saving up for a bit. Can’t wait to read your experiences with your kids and what you’ve learned along the way!

• Rachel Rowell September 26, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Amy! Hope some of the things I post from our experiences will be of help to you guys in preparing to hit the road full-time as well! Blessings to you and your family as you prepare for an incredible journey! You will LOVE it. 🙂

40. Dee October 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Just came across your blog! A couple of tips for you, as far as bedding goes, look into the RV super bag http://www.rvsuperbag.com as a solution for making beds. We have the predecessor, a Travasak. Makes bed making in confined spaces sooooo easy! Another wonderful product are the 3M Command hooks, tabs etc. for hanging pictures I often use the Command Velcro type. Holds firm and no damage to the walls. There are many different types of hooks and we have them all over the RV to hang all kinds of stuff. Happy RVing,
    Dee.
    Gonerving.blogspot.com

41. xabelina October 12, 2013 at 1:39 am #

OH MY GOSH!!!!! You had me dying! I laughed sooooo much reading this post!!! I’ve never laughed this hard, this loud ever by just reading a post!

42. Connie Robin December 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

When we decided to full time, my husband insisted we find a rig we could put a full size bathtub in, as it was the only thing I missed when on two, year long, trips in the early 90’s, homeschooling our three kids
    Found a 31 ft. Travel trailer with bunkhouse in back next to bathroom. Took out the beds, full on bottom, twin on top, put in a 5 ft acrylic slipper tub and had enought room for a Splendide combo washer/dryer. Thought I would need an on demand water heater, but the 10 minute rapid recovery on our six gallon does ok, takes about 30 minutes for a full tub, time I spend picking up, making the bed, etc. anyway. Now there is nothing I miss from home.
    We have a Thousand Trails membership, can camp resort style 21 days at each location, no charge, all year long! Just about $60 a month for our yearly dues payment. Almost always have full hook ups, unless they are packed.
    We didn’t want a fifth wheel because we travel with our daughter and her family, they have a 34 ft motorhome. We needed a tow vehicle that would accommodate four adults and two car seats!
    Stepping across our campsite right now to their motorhome to have Christmas morning with grandchildren!!
    Merry Christmas!

43. Michelle January 24, 2014 at 10:54 am #

As with everything, there are downsides and adjustments to be made. I think you need to look into a larger black water tank ASAP. Adapting your shower to shorter less water usage takes time and skill. I use less than 2 gallons per shower. Remember, mist of the time we are not dirty, just need to clean body odor off and freshen up (a most wonderful feeling). I wax my legs and that uses very little power or water. I also like to deep condition my hair and will have the conditioner on for maybe 30 minutes or more before my shower. I will twist & wrap my hair in a ponytail or bun (mine not long enough) to keep it looking reasonable if i am wandering around the campsite whilst the conditioner is in – it just looks like I have just come out of the shower with wet hair! As others before me have said, velcro, rubber mats and putty are your best friends. I try not to have much stuff out anyway as I don’t like clutter. AS for your beds, 1. teach the kids to make their own beds. 2. have sleeping bags or doonas that are easy for bed making. I have a friend who has sewing on a big ‘flap’ along one edge of their doona so that it ‘tucks’ under the mattress and doesn’t need tucking in against the wall – personally I don’t like even a sheet tuck in above me – I like it as light as a feather but thought you might want to consider it as a option. Anyway by now, I am sure you have adjusted and found other things that annoy you and these things you’ve mentioned may be less annoying! Just think of all the bonuses you have being on the road close to your husband when he is working and with your kids as well as seeing so much more of the country.

44. uglicoyote April 4, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

Install one of these
    then convert your black tank to greywater or even fresh. Do some checking online. They work.
    Your electrical problems might be resolved with a good generator, a couple of solar panels. The space thing you can only resolve with a bigger RV. Peace.

45. Thinker April 30, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

What about a composting toilet for feces and a container for urine? The two should not be mixed together I would think. I realize this is easier for a man than a woman. People can adapt. Urine can be used for many things if you actually educate yourself about it. Google Urine Therapy for hundreds of articles on it. It is STERILE when fresh. Its way more sterile than the chlorinated poison most people call tap water. Microwaves are bad for you. You shouldn’t even use one. They also are a huge energy drain. Same with hair dryers. Let your hair dry naturally. You’re also exposing yourself to high levels of EMF radiation with a hair dryer. As for laundry, what about combining showering with laundry? Scrub your dirty clothes in the shower. Hang to dry (until they don’t drip) then hang them up anywhere to finish drying. Just rinsing your clothes can get rid of most smells. This is where body odor comes into play. If you eat natural food your body odor is hugely reduced. Processed food is not your friend and if you give that to your children you are entrenching life long habits in them that will vastly shorten their life. The food preparer of the family has huge responsibilities regarding the longevity of that family. Food habits are challenging to break later in life, as we all have experienced. Regarding beds: I can never understand why a bed is even used in a camper. In my room I use a foam pad that I lean against the wall so it doesn’t waste space during the day. You should never use your bed for anything except sleeping if value the quality of your sleep. So many articles about this online. So obviously don’t have your bed out during the day! End of bed problems. As a couple, you are both looking young and healthy but he is starting to gain weight. Take these suggestions and he will be lean for the rest of his life like he probably was when he was in his late teens. And he’ll live a lot longer. He’ll see a physical difference right away. The rest of you will feel terrific and live longer as well of course. Learn about wild, edible foods as well. Learn about edible insects because they’re free, many are delicious and have the highest quality of protein (very high B12 and very low fat) of any food on the planet. Learn about raw eating. You can kiss that stove/oven/microwave goodbye forever that wastes so much space. Food cleanup is almost non-existent once cooking is eliminated. Kids love it. No animal on the planet cooks their food. Why do we? Its pointless. If an insect is moving and you want to eat it, the solution is to drown it first. There’s a solution to everything if we just take the time to think. You’re doing so many things so well, especially when it comes to the children. These are just more suggestions to try on your road to a better life. Mobile living is wonderful but requires many adjustments. Many people would try it with good advice from websites like this. So many people enslave themselves to a mortgage which drains the family’s financial base into the bank. You’re choosing a less traveled road and are reaping the rewards. Your children’s memories will be rich in experience, variety and parental support. Its hard to imagine better parents. I haven’t read all your website so if I mentioned something you’ve already recommended, my apologies.

• Thinker April 30, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

Forgot to mention barefoot living. This can be amazing as our feet gradually toughen and things are so painful. It takes many months so patience is key. But children usually adapter fast. The city is polluted but outside of the city its much better. I wouldn’t recommend walking barefoot through oils, gas, and who knows what in a city. Glass is not a problem. Pollutants are a problem because your skin absorbs whatever it touches. As an example, crush some garlic under your bare feet and in a few minutes you’ll smell it on your breath! If you think barefoot is not important, think back to summer memories when you were a young child. If you’re typical, you’ll be able to remember the texture of the ground in many areas when you were barefoot. If it wasn’t important, how in the world can you remember that? 🙂

• Rachel Rowell April 30, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Wow! It seems you are an uber professional at life! It must be nice. 🙂

46. Kelly August 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

I have been searching, and searching, and searching for someone who lives on the road with their children in a campervan/rv. I have so many questions, and comments, but don’t want to clog up your comments section. I’ll read through more of your posts for sure. I’m preparing myself, educating really, before taking my three old son on the road full time. Alone. My husband works up North (of Canada) and will fly to see us where we are at the time, during days off. Oh. I’m so glad to have found your website. You’re a doll!

47. Mike August 14, 2014 at 1:16 am #

Really enjoy reading all of your stories and making notes of some great advice! hope to be out there with you all someday!

48. Alex September 17, 2014 at 6:08 am #

I always hear to get the biggest tanks possible and that’s the biggest pain to rv’ing

49. Andre & Nicole November 2, 2014 at 7:40 am #

Really well thought and well written. I too am doing my research on full time R.V. living. I live in Michigan with my soon to be wife and our 3 kids. 12 yr old,3 yr old and 1.5 yr old. What I want to do is sell everything I own except for my S.U.V.. What ever monies we got from selling everything go out buy a used Motor home and fill it with all new cloths, food,up to date appliances. Make sure everything is in working and traveling order. ( Will do that before buying anything.) Move to a state that i have picked to move too and work.

My only issue is living with 3 kids 2 of which aren’t even close to going to school yet. What kind of impact will this have on their education. Will my children be able to go to school in a state that i choose to live in while living full time in a Motor home.

• Brittney February 28, 2015 at 11:12 pm #

I definitely say homeschool! I’m planning to do that with our two yr old and really it’s life schooling, not just homeschooling. Teaching the basics, I thought would be so hard, but ABCmouse.com is AWESOME!! It’s helped my son a lot, and so has watching Mickey Mouse! Check into k12.com because you can school wherever you are, as long as you have Internet connection. Best of luck!

50. makingourlivesawesome November 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

I just found this bog and am so excited. My Hubby and I are preparing to make the move to full-timing in a living quarters horse trailer (and are blogging about it). I have horses and part of my dream is finding jobs on ranches around the country where we can stay. So many people tell you all the great things about living in an RV, so finding an article about the truthful pain points is so helpful. I look forward to looking through more of your posts.

• CJ April 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm #

I am in a similar situation to you, but my camper and horse trailer are separate. This has me in a quandry since I can’t haul my horses and camper at the same time…and I can’t afford a decent living quarters horse trailer (not for the price I paid for what I have separately).
      Good luck to you

51. Brittney February 28, 2015 at 11:07 pm #

Hi! We are just starting our rv life and have a Jayco jayflight camper with two slide outs. We unplug the microwave to use the plug there for our cooker when making fries at the same time I’m plugged into the plug by the sink to cook dinner. We don’t use the stove top much because my husband is big on BBQing and the cooker we use when it’s cold out. As for the showers, clean the screen out that your trailer water supply has. We have hard water here and it plugs it up once in a while and needs cleaned out for our pressure. I usually lather my hair, shave my legs, wash off all at once. I’m learning how to beat that 10-15 minute hot water time! Also, leave your water heater on for 30-45 minutes without using it for max heating! We are hooked to my mother in laws house right now on our own electric, with water through the tap, and have to use one of the totes for hauling sewage to be dumped. Ours hooks to the truck but my husband prefers to haul by hand. That stuff gets heavy fast! We are moving back to Colorado soon and will have full hook ups, and I couldn’t imagine less! Two yrs ago we tried camping by the Arkansas River and had NO hookups. Had to use bottled water for everything and use outhouses. We had a generator at the time, which was super loud. It’s all live and learn I guess, but I LOVE this lifestyle! Cramped? Sure! We have a two yr old and might as well have a herd of elephants lol but it’s worth everything to pick up and go when you feel the desire to!

52. Cassie adams April 18, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

My husband and i are thinking about retiring and going fulltime rving. He is all for selling house and everything and doing it. But i am not sure i feel very comfortable with getting rid of everything. Any suggestions or comments.

• penny fernba September 21, 2015 at 6:54 am #

My husband and I are planning to do the same thing. We have decided to keep our home and rent it out. The rent will almost cover the mortgage. Utilities will be paid by the renters. We will continue to get benefits from owning our home (of course the tax rules change a bit) and then we can benefit from tax write offs as in our state California you can claim your rv as a second home. We have decided to store a minimal amount of our things… after all most of what we have is just stuff. We are retired so this kind of living makes good sense to us. If and when we want to take a break from the rv life we will still have our home and hopefully good appreciation from the real estate market. We are planning on financing both our 5th wheel and truck. The payments will be less than our home even with insurance. We have done a lot of research but I would love to hear from you as to your thoughts and ideas.

53. Meta Fares Boulos May 23, 2015 at 5:24 am #

We are selling our home after 14 years being here. The first van load I gave away I cried. Now I’m ok about getting rid of the stuff. I just want to sell and move on. My husband has health issues and we need to be out of the house.

54. dick miller May 28, 2015 at 2:12 am #

all i want is a small bag to sleep in with zippers………..

55. Barbara Rogister July 13, 2015 at 11:09 pm #

Love your blog, thank you. For many years our plan has been to retire and become full time RV’ers. My husband has been retired for a while; I plan to retire in December ’15, We are in the process of searching for the “right” class A to fit our lifestyle and plans and then hit the road to warmer weather the first of the year. Ilook forward to reading more of your blogs. The comments are great for a “newbie”
    Barbara

56. Dick & Ingrid UND Sadie das wunderhund July 14, 2015 at 12:31 am #

retired 84 year olds … Roadtrek 190 Popular . twin beds and more space and tanks than our old 32′ .
    all the zuper comforts . 20′ and we got it all…when one is busy in the front, we switch ends . it’s our pride and joy and our Sadie Dachshund has her own co-pilot seat … We go wherever she wants to go and park anyplace … in a regular parking spot … boat ramp areas are just great … SEE Y’ALL … DICK MILLER, LIVE OAK, FLORRDAAA

57. Brenda August 21, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

We are not full-timers, but have spent 2-3 months at a time living in our 5th wheel between houses and moves.

Regarding shaving in the shower, I discovered Moom wax strips for legs (search amazon) and have never looked back. Every time I wax, it takes longer and longer for the hair to come back, I only have to do it about every 6 weeks now. Best to start in the spring, after a winter of no-shaving, because the instructions want the hair to be a good length before you start. Yeah, it hurts like a string of punctuation for a minute afterwards, but I will never go back to shaving!

58. Felipe Zapata November 18, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Just these items you mention alone would make me rethink the full-time plan immediately. You’re a tougher person than I am.

59. diane November 22, 2015 at 1:15 am #

I won’t stay anywhere that doesn’t have full hookups! Been there done that once! Never again….makes a hugh difference in lifestyle. We have a 37′ Adventure Motorhome and I have no complaints regarding water & and shower size….leg shaving is no problem. HOWEVER, THERE IS ONLY THE TWO OF US…..big difference in usage and my DH uses the resort /campground shower. My only complaint is LAUNDRY ….I really, really miss having my own units!! However, we opted to not have them installed due to such small sized loads and extremely long drying times.

60. Gisele November 23, 2015 at 3:03 am #

Full-time RVers living in 37′ with1½ baths.
    – We changed both toilets to composting (Nature’s head). Saves water consumption.
    – I wax to avoid shaving (boughtfull kit at Sally’s); once per month task.
    – Changed showerhead to Oxigenics as it has an interuption button to stop water flow; easy combat shower
    – Have stacked washer/dryer but we also wear clothing more than once to avoid large loads often
    – Microwave is combo convection oven.
    – Velcro is used on anything that moves: artwork, toothbrush and soap dispensers, etc.
    – Combo slow cooker/pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
    – 3¼ couplings to hold/separate glasses

There are lots of different ways to make RV/trailer living easier!

61. Mellow Yellow December 15, 2015 at 4:06 pm #

Hahaha! Yes! Can relate to everything you said! Trailer life is NOT for the lazy!

62. Adam adcox December 26, 2015 at 3:54 pm #

Also you really need to get a tankless hot water heater and a generator and moubt it i. The back of rv or something like that. We have been 2 adults and 3 kids in a 26 foot with no slides for 3 years now and love it. Better site with fhu is a must though. Great blog i will follow fir sure.

63. edward jefferson January 1, 2016 at 6:56 am #

Sad hearing about this common downsides while having a trip with the opposite sex.

64. Fonda February 6, 2016 at 12:11 pm #

All of the above can be true. Volunteering at the campgrounds change most of your problems

65. Tabetha March 3, 2016 at 4:46 am #

Can children go to public schools if they live in rv grounds?

66. Janice Olson June 8, 2016 at 10:17 pm #

Doctors!! We had to go back to a home base (much smaller than what we had before). Every time we had to go to a doctor there was the endless forms to fill out plus “they” don’t know you. We are closing in 10 days and I am looking forward to a shower, a toilet that is not steps away from the bed and a washer/dryer. Still planning extensive and long term travel but coming home to our second home

67. Steve August 20, 2016 at 11:28 pm #

What is the best small motor coach out there? I have recently read horror stories on Nexus side outs and Thor RV’s .. They are starting to kill my dream of ownership one day 🙁

• richard miller August 21, 2016 at 2:14 am #

i have had the biggies … have a 99 Roadtrek 190 now and pristine … take all others and they can go where the sun don’t shine …………. Me, my wife and our little Dachshund are ready to go at a moments notice ………. sun or no sun ….. Dick Miller, live oak, fl. ……

• Strve August 21, 2016 at 2:25 am #

Thanks for the feedback but I don’t have that option and I still think there must be some daylight in the class b”s and class b pluses.. At least I have hope there is anyways 🙂

68. Kristen Blaylock April 8, 2017 at 2:26 am #

Beddy’s bedding. That’s what we will be using in our RV when we set out. Just zip it up and you are done. We use them in our house too. Even myself and my husband, not just the kids.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easy Blog Site Profit - October 10, 2013

Cool Sites…

[…]we came across a cool site that you might enjoy. Take a look if you want[…]…

2. Canada Goose Outlet - October 27, 2013

Canada Goose Outlet

The second fault is the fact that Playground’s impact can also be used by the opponent, but most likely, their deck will not be specialized for this, as opposed to yours. Be sure to pick-up one particular in a prerelease match close to you. Content ta…

3. RV Life Q&A Session: Part 1 | - April 3, 2014

[…] there are downsides to RV life on the road. But there are so many upsides too! And to be fair, we love to be honest about […]

4. From the RV | Downsides to RV Life - April 3, 2014

[…] Rachel at The Light Life Blog shares seven downsides to full-time RV life. […]