Fall On The Road!

20131001-075629.jpgI can’t even tell you how excited I am that the first season change for us on the road is fall! One, because fall is my most favorite season, also because it’s fall and we are in the mountains!

The picture above was something I snapped as I crossed a bridge on my afternoon run a few days ago. I have to admit, the scenery here in the fall does make me look forward to my runs a bit more.

20131001-075747.jpgFall is everywhere! Even inside our tiny home on wheels. The fragrances of pumpkin and spice have filled the air and the pumpkin spice coffee creamer is once again part of my morning coffee routine! These are the small things that make me happy.

20131001-075925.jpgThere is just something special about this season. The cool crispness of the air, the sounds of the leaves rustling as they rain down from the tree that had been their sturdy home all summer long. Fall closes a chapter of warm summer days and brings with it the anticipation of the magic of the holidays and good food around a table with those we love most. Fall seems to slow life down a bit, shift everyone’s focus and usher in everything that is truly good in life.

20131001-080134.jpgThese are the reasons I love this season. Picture opportunities with leaves everywhere! Hey, I’m always looking for a good excuse to snap a picture of anything…especially of my kids. This is one I shot yesterday of our 8 1/2 year old daughter Olivia out in front of our camper.

Also, this girl here has also started a blog about all her travel adventures living on the road full-time. You can visit her place here! Be sure and stop by to say hey and leave her a little comment love! She’d love to hear from you. (shameless plug for my girl  😉

20131001-082649.jpgI have a feeling there will so many good memories made this season. Cool nights out by the fire, good company and even more reasons to have a gooey S’more…. or two!  😉

In this new season, be intentional about taking time to slow down, breathe deeply, spend time with others, and let yourself enjoy the tiny joys that life has to offer.

Found within the small things, are the true riches of life.

Own less, live full, travel light!

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Fall On The Road!

1. DeWain Gardner October 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Fall is also my favorite season. My wife and I live in Michigan, so we get to experience all of the seasons. ( Not so crazy about winter, but that’s another topic) It’s amazing what our Creator has given us in the fall: all of the beautiful colors to cheer us and warm our hearts to prepare us for the coming winter. I think the fall helps us look forward to the renewal of life in the spring. Something of a metaphor for what our Savior has done for us!

• Rachel Rowell October 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I completely agree! Also, I’m not a winter lover either. But aren’t the winters of life what makes us appreciate spring and summer? 🙂

• DeWain Gardner October 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

You are right Rachel, we wouldn’t appreciate the light if we didn’t know darkness. My wife has some health conditions where she doesn’t deal well with cold weather. I don’t know if we are ready to full-time, but we are looking forward (probably next winter) to spending some of the cold months somewhere warmer, probably Arizona or Texas. We have a fifth wheel trailer that we love using, we just have to work out the financial end of things. I’m a semi-retired teacher, I taught band and choir. If I can figure out a way to get rid of the “semi” we will be joining you (figuratively) on the road!

• Rachel Rowell October 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Awesome DeWain, crossing my fingers you’ll both be able to get out and do at least some part time traveling SOON. Let’s stay in touch! 🙂

2. Susie October 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

What a wonderful post. I’m going to be sure and mention you in one of my blog posts this week. You are so inspiring.

• Rachel Rowell October 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Thanks Susie! I can’t wait to read your blog! 🙂

3. Cindy Brown (@hiyacynthia) October 2, 2013 at 3:03 am #

That picture of Olivia is really beautiful :0)

4. Philip October 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Rachel, I have a couple of questions for you. Would or will your travels take you to colder weather? Most RV’ers run to the warmer states when colder temps come. Do you guys travel with the one vehicle?

• Rachel Rowell October 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Yes, our travel (and work) very well could take us to colder climates. I wouldn’t necessarily be thrilled about going to Michigan or somewhere like that in the winter, but if we did – I am certain we would make it work and make the best of it. 🙂 We travel with my husband’s truck (of course) and my small car. I drive my car along with the camper whenever we move from place to place. The kids and I like to have the ability to get around as we please and not have to wait on my husband to be off work. Hope this answers your questions!