Every time we move to a new area, the first two weeks or so of getting acclimated are honestly a little dreadful.
I spent a great part of last week getting our camper re-situated again – scouting out basic stores, coffee shops, local churches and THEN came the painful task of finding GOOD child-care. YUCK. Even though I’m not working outside of the home anymore, since our date nights are a top priority for my husband and I, we don’t consider childcare a luxury. And so the arduous process of begins…..
Now that we are traveling, we are constantly reminded that before we hit the road we had it MADE in the child-care department. Literally, I always sort of pitied the moms who had to scramble to find babysitters at the last minute.
And that is because for the past four years of our lives when we lived in NC, we were SO blessed to have found THIS PLACE.
Before Giggles, the idea of drop-in childcare places meant an ever changing stream of sketchy strangers watching my kids while I ditched them for a few hours. But when we found Giggles, our family life literally changed in ways we could never have imagined it would.
The Giggles staff became like a second family to my kids and our whole family really. We noticed that they have an impressively low turn-over rate of staff members and seemed to only hire moms or college age women who genuinely love children. I would walk in to pick up my kids and the staff members would almost always be engaging groups of children in games or one on one play. When they heard, “It’s time to leave!” my kids would fall on the floor and cry or try and refuse to leave.
As you can imagine, this did a number on my mommy ego – but I was even more elated that they truly loved it there that much. When I left them there, I literally never had to wonder if they were standing there with pitiful looks, waiting for me to rescue them from a kid prison.
And the fact that Giggles was almost never closed….I mean seriously – where can you find anytime childcare until 11 at night Thursdays-Sat?
Here’s what Giggles did for our family:
- Date nights! Gave my husband and I WEEKLY date nights again, which is something we hadn’t had in years before Giggles.
- Fitness – Giggles did away with all of my excuses not to get my but moving because well, I couldn’t blame it on my kids anymore!
- Peace of mind to know that if something arose on any day of the week (except Sunday) we wouldn’t have to frantically hunt for childcare or ask family for the millionth time.
- Appointments of any kind. Childcare was NEVER an issue!
- Alone time – There were so many days that I just need to go sit in a coffee shop and reclaim my identity for a few blissful hours.
- Second income – Having daily access to 4 hours of childcare, 6 days a week allowed me to start my own part time business and added a second income to our household. This alone, changed our financial life.
- Social interaction for our kids – Even after taking them there 5-6 days a week they literally BEGGED to go there on Sundays when they were closed.
- Movie nights every friday night
- Costume parties
- Craft time and snack time every day!
- Regular local educational visitors
- Dance parties
- Birthday parties
It’s not hard to see why Giggles was by far one of the best investment we made into our family life. Those who know me know that I always say that Giggles saved my life!!! Literally, it is one of the BEST things that ever came into my motherhood….and without a doubt, made me a better mom to my kids.
I heard they have another BRAND NEW location that almost makes me wish I lived THERE! Because, good grief I can’t even express just how much our whole family misses this incredible place.
And so because Florida has no Giggles to be found, tomorrow morning you will find me sitting in a Starbucks somewhere
interrogating interviewing the first babysitter prospects this family has ever had to hire. 🙁
So NC parents and visitors, do your sanity a huge favor and connect with Giggle’s two locations below: