A New Light Life Addition! {So Begins The Story Of A Tiny Road-dog}

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

So maybe it appears I’ve been MIA for past few weeks. Well, there’s been a couple of big changes in our lives that have been keeping me from doing everything and anything…. beside blogging.

And I have to be honest, I have resisted just a little in writing this post for a few weeks knowing that I what I should do is write on something important, informational or just a bit more relevant in keeping with the topic of a Light Life blog to share with you all. You know, the stuff you really come here to read!

But alas, as I was going through the images in my camera roll I literally couldn’t let myself not tell you about our new little addition to our own Light Life family. And after all, this blog is also about our own journey as well. And Little Daisy has become a huge or rather –  tiny part of it!

And so without further ado, meet little Daisy May!

20140519-140039-50439560.jpgShe is a Chiweenie which is a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix. She is seven months old and is pretty much at her full-grown size of about 5 pounds.

We saw her and immediately fell in love with her!

Olivia has always been an animal lover and is OBSESSED with animals of all kinds. She had a large dog who had passed away shortly before we left for life on the road. But the thought of squeezing another body in a small space was admittedly a challenge Anthony and I weren’t sure if we were up for.

But Olivia has begged and begged for months.

Maybe she had worn us down just a bit, or maybe we had a momentary lapse in good common sense! But the moment we laid eyes on little Daisy, I just knew she was ours! And so I text Anthony at work and asked him could we get her (all while I was already rushing home to get the cash to pay and send a campground neighbor after her for us.) \

I had never told the kids we would get her. And we waited to surprise Olivia until after her soccer game that afternoon. And when she was done, she came home to little Daisy sitting there in the back seat of her daddy’s truck, just waiting for her.

20140519-140048-50448206.jpgThis was the first time she held her. Two sweet little girls, never so lucky (and happy) to have found each other.

Daisy has changed our lives so much already. In every good way. Yes, she is a lot of work as any new puppy would be. I keep telling people it feels like I got the third child I never had. I know that because I catch myself snapping pictures of her just as much as I do my kids….which is a lot.

She is the sweetest natured dog who’s main goal in life is simply to be near us and crawl up into our lap for snuggles.

20140519-140041-50441829.jpg

Yes, she is extra work. She has lots and lots of little puppy accidents, but the joy she has brought into our lives far exceeds any of the little aggravations that come along with her.

20140519-140049-50449515.jpgDaisy was the runt of her little and was a bit underweight and sick when we got her. In fact, we are still working with the vet to help her get totally well – a process which will take a few months at least.

And I guess some would say she is lucky to have found us, but I would say, we are lucky to have found her.

She is our new little joy in our journey and we just could not neglect to share her with you too!

We’d love to know – Do/have you had animals living with you on the road or in a small living space? If so, what kind? Please leave us any comments or tips on traveling or just living small (light) with four legged ones!

, , , , , , ,

9 Responses to A New Light Life Addition! {So Begins The Story Of A Tiny Road-dog}

1. debbiemc14 May 19, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

Congrats! What a sweet little doggie! I’m sure she is a wonderful addition! We will be bringing our sons pitbull with us for about a year while he finishes college. He is very sweet and has already lived with us for the past 3 years. We head out fulltime in a couple of months. So I can’t answer any questions yet, but I will be in the same spot soon. Since we camp mostly in State parks, boondock etc, him being a pitbull shouldn’t be a problem. It tends to be the private parks that restrict certain breeds.

2. jessica May 19, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

are you finding it easy to do sports on the road?

3. Liz May 19, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

i just came across your blog today. My husband got a call about a job based out of Texas (we are in CA now) that would have us traveling 100% and staying at different places from 1week to 6 months! I am so excited at the idea of this. The loner I take a look at your blog, the more I want this to become a reality for us!

Thanks for sharing your family and experiences with the rest of us!

God Bless!

4. Bj May 20, 2014 at 1:27 am #

Before we went full timing we had four VERY large dogs, Duchess, a Great Dane, Tina, an Irish Setter, Pepper, a Dalmation and Nicki, a Poodle Beage (all rescues) We adopted a little white Bichon Frise Murphy, from the Pound and had he traveled with us for 17 years. When we lost him to old age we swore we would not get another dog but two years later decided we really loved having one so went on-line to the Bichon Furkids Rescue organization and home came Dulee! He is a perfect road dog! Yes, our kids always loved their dogs and they are grown (and all have pets!) And we find we can’t do without one either. So happy for especially Olivia but you will all love this little cutie!!

5. Karen May 20, 2014 at 2:38 am #

We travel with 2 small dogs ( 3#, 8#). They use a litterless litter pan unless we happen to be outside. They go months without going out of our RV. We can go to ‘no pet’ parks. It is too risky for them to go out. Large dogs, wildlife and snakes. Our CG neighbor’s dog in Branson got bit by Copperhead.

6. John S May 22, 2014 at 10:54 am #

We travel with two King Charles and love it. Well except when it us pouring rain and the truck stop us all mud and they heed their walk. Took these two on the road as pups. They know where they are to sit now. Used to hook them to a seat belt in the motorhome but now they just jump into their seat. It is eight years though so they have learned. Our last pups got to travel well over 300k miles and made just about every state but HI. Stop every three hours and take them out when they are young and now it is every three to four hours. Usually I am the one that needs the walk.

7. mrsd May 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Absolutely include Daisy in your posts! We are traveling with 2 midsize dogs and appreciate all the ideas, tips and support we can get to keep our friends with us. I keep their dog houses in the back of the truck. We have 2 cable tie outs, and keep them in the trailer with us overnight. With several walks during the day.

8. Hank May 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

We’ve been full timers for a year and a half now. Part of our family is Cricket, a 13 pound Yorkie. She never go out unless, on occasion, we are at our home base where we have a large deck that we dock the trailer up to. We don’t let her in the grass because fleas can be an issue so she uses a pee-pad. She thinks that she’s a human. She up in bed with us and gets a real attitude if we leave her for long periods during the day and doesn’t hesitate to wake us if we sleep past her breakfast time. She keeps my wife company while I’m away at work and we would want to be without our little companion.

9. Courtney January 26, 2016 at 2:37 am #

Thank you for sharing! My husband and I are planning to take at least a month long trip in the next few years and we are now in the phase of researching what we want in a travel trailer and what we will need to do to remodel it. I have even been toying with potentially full timing it! (not that he knows that yet!) However, we have two dogs right now that are non-negotiable, where we go – they go. Of course, I have concerns for their safety but we already hike and like to be in the woods so I’m not as worried as I would be if they were to never have been exposed to nature. The only problem is that one of them is a Great Pyrenees, so basically a giant dog (probably around 130#) and the other one is a medium size dog (around 40#). She’s never had a problem in any of our small apartments but I do wonder how they will do on the road. Looking forward to seeing how life is with a canine on the road!