10 Reasons A Simpler Life Can Equal A Fuller Life

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When I started this blog back in 2013 for the purpose of documenting our journey with full time RV life, I made the decision right then that I never wanted sharing our lives with others to get in the way of living our lives with each other. There have been seasons in which it was more practical to write regularly, and post articles that many of you have found helpful and informational. But over the course of this past year, the momentum of our lives changed quite a bit and it just hasn’t lent itself to writing much. And so needless to say, I haven’t posted on The Light Life Blog lately and I really can’t apologize because we’ve been, well…LIVING the light life!

Our 2014/2015 school year is coming to a close and I’ve been looking back over the last 10 months or so of our lives realizing just how fast it’s gone by and just how full our lives have been! We’ve been busy roadschooling, taking trips, enjoying the outdoors, hiking, running 1/2 marathons, participating in a homeschool co-op, spending LOTS of time with family as we are currently just 5 hours from our hometown of Wilmington, NC, and I started back to school full-time as well…which is where a great chunk of my time and brain space has disappeared to.   😉

Looking back is always a treat. It reminds me again why we made the decision to scale back our lives two years ago. And how much that decision to live this lighter, simpler life has not detracted from the fullness of our lives one tiny bit. In fact, quite the opposite.

So what have these past two years of full-time RV life taught us? Here’s just 10 things for starters.

1. Things can be bought with money, time cannot.
  2. Life doesn’t have to be complex or expensive to be full and good.
  3. Quality trumps quantity. Every. single. time.
  4. Kids would rather have your time than your things.
  5. Education means a whole lot more than textbooks and the 3 Rs.
  6. Freeing up your time allows you to educate the WHOLE child. Mind, body, and spirit.
  7. We should spend less time building retirement accounts and more time building relationships. Because in the end, we don’t get to keep the stuff anyways.
  8. That whole American dream thing? Doesn’t necessarily have to rule our lives, or be our dream at all.
  9. And when you don’t love the direction your life is taking, it’s okay to reinvent yourself and re-write your story.
  10. Not everyone will understand your journey, and that’s OK. It’s YOUR journey, not theirs.

IMG_4899.JPG

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to 10 Reasons A Simpler Life Can Equal A Fuller Life

1. Scott May 19, 2015 at 3:58 pm #

How do you like your Open Range TT? We arw thinking about buying one and are interested on your thoughts of its quality, livability etc.

2. anthony May 19, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

So far the Open Range has been great. We have been in it almost 2 years and have only had a couple of problems. The original countertop buckled because the edges were not rolled and allowed moisture at the seams. They replaced it under warranty with the rolled edge countertop that they now use. Even with 2 kids, the construction is holding up very well. That being said, we have really enjoyed it and its a very reliable unit for the cost.

• Scott May 19, 2015 at 5:49 pm #

Thank you Rachel, sounds like a wonderful life.

3. shannon June 13, 2015 at 3:16 am #

Hi, I recently heard NC does not allow kids to live permanently in an RV. I am guessing you know more about this since you are doing it – could you give me more info? Have you found info on the contrary? Thanks so so much.

4. Jewel D Pearson June 13, 2015 at 12:36 pm #

Are you still parked in charlotte? do you like your RV site? i just finished building a tiny house and am parked at a site off lake wylie, i’ve only been here a week but am also trying to see what other options are available, etc. from the pics your place looks peaceful. 🙂 enjoy!

5. Rochelle July 3, 2015 at 3:07 am #

My husband and I started the conversation tonight about what it might look like if we lived full time in a RV. My husband travels on occasion for work and needs to pull a trailer full of heavy equipment for jobs. We are currently debt free. Praise Jesus! I work a full time 40 hr/week job but I’m considering looking into telecommuting jobs that allows me the flexibility to travel with him. We have a few concerns about what life on the road would look like specifically in these areas:
    1. How can we hull a trailer with a RV or 5th wheel? We have a 4×4 V8 Tahoe and a V8 Tundra. Is there a way to pull a trailer with a 5th wheel?
    2. We have 2 small dogs that needs a place to potty and get outside every so often that’s safe.
    3. High speed internet
    4. Most important – doctors and vets. Do we try to find someone local in every city, do we keep the medical docs with us? What would that look like?

Any advise or pointers are welcomed. We are new to this idea but excited to explore the possibility. Thank you!

• Suzan January 9, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

My husband and I decided to leave our apartment of 6 years and purchase an RV. We are in a small 8x 16 ft rv . At first it was hard to adjust to the small space. We had sorted all our belongings . One section of the room was the get rid of pile and the other side the take with us. This took a while we sold all the get rid of pile which was great. We moved in our rv April 17, 2014 and our still enjoying the financial freedom and this is our home. We have a small dog that loves her area with her bed . We love the simpler life and still know we made the right decision. Right at this moment it is raining we both enjoy the sound of the raindrops on the roof of the rv. It is so relaxing. We are in middle Tennessee in an rv park and have stayed here for this past year. We have saved money, spent quiet time and are content and thankful for our tiny home on wheels.